39

Xiao Zhan drove almost out of the city, heading nowhere in particular. All he knows is that he's driving out of this predicament he found himself in, this despair and anguish and desire he will feel much more reasonable wherever he found himself. He knows running away from this situation is never the best decision but what did anyone expect him to do? Stay behind and flounder in desperation in front of those people behind his circumstances in the first place? Or stay behind and feign that nothing happened, all in the name of being a good wife and accountable person they all wanted him to be? That will be maddening, because the instant he does that, he knows he'll go insane just by looking at their faces. They'll cause him nothing but nuisance each time their faces remind him what they did to him.

Xiao Zhan just hoped he made the right judgment leaving everything behind. He hopes the children will be in safe hands and will be taken care of. Of course, they'll be taken care of, his mother will do just that. And speaking of his mother, he hoped she'll finally find consensus now that she has gotten rid of him for good. He hopes she's happy to eventually get him out of their reputable family he had been tarnishing their name. He just hopes all of them will find peace now that he is gone. 

All Xiao Zhan wants now is to ponder how to accumulate the piece of his life, maybe, moved on with his life, start a new one, earn his own money, proceeded with his schooling, graduate and become someone valid to himself, if not to the world, and live up to the expectations his family always looked up to him to become. He just wants to be someone reliable and responsible for once in his fucked up life. And maybe, just maybe, he'll also become someone they'll be proud of and would want him back in their family. He might materialize unuseful to them yet he'll appreciate it if they'll tolerate him for whom he is, even though he'll like to transform for the sake of their acceptance, but for once, they should acknowledge him for whom he has become.

Is that too difficult for them to do? Can't they see he was trying his best to make them satisfied with him? Are they not seeing his struggles? Did they ever ask why he became like that? Don't his feelings matter to them? It was true he was a mistake, unfortunate and useless to them, but didn't they know they played a role in how he turned out to become? They made him like this, his parent most especially. They made him believe he was unproductive and not worthy of their lineage. It was their drawbacks and should be held accountable for what his life turned out to become.

All his life, he has never become someone valuable, if not found with some notorious boys, smoking and doing what he thought was life, which they pushed him into. As young as he was back then, Xiao Zhan became a gangster, a drunk and a drug addict, and they never sit down to ponder why he became like that. Because of the situation he brought upon his family back then, he was sent out of the country to live with their father's younger brother, his uncle, who lived with his wife and two children in America.

There was once a robbery that transpired one certain duration and Xiao Zhan's gang occurred to be the ones who robbed and stole from a very big supermarket that was very close to Xiao Zhan's family house. The supermarket was located at the front of the Estate, and everyone went there to buy things before driving inside the estate and to their mansion. On that unfortunate fateful day, the plan was set by the leader of their gang, which Xiao Zhan was against. He told them he wouldn't be partaking in such activity. Xiao Zhan knew he was everything ominous, a wasted product to his family just as they deemed him but he was never a thief.

He would've given everything for them to rob his family, to bankrupt his father and see if that would make them acknowledge and treasure him as their son, but him taking part in robbing the poor populace just to satisfy his gang he thought was his new home. He thought they'll be different from his family, that they'll welcome and treats him better than his family but he thought wrong. They were all identical. They want something from him in exchange for their care for him. They are all voracious and he'll rather die than steal for their enjoyment. He was threatened, was told that they'll excommunicate him if he didn't give in to them yet, he wasn't moved and still didn't follow them.