01| A Strange Normal

I clutch my pillow tighter as the screams fill my ears

I clutch my pillow tighter as the screams fill my ears. Mr. Gogo provides me a warm comfortable tummy to put my head on. It's okay though, it's my normal. I've adapted to the everyday fights and abuse. Soon, the door with burst open and it will be my turn.

I wait for dad to enter my room as I lay on Mr. Gogo's tummy. He has been with me since I was 3. Uncle Alec bought him for me as my birthday gift. That day dad got very angry at me for accepting it. He even punished me later at night, but that's okay.
I deserved it.

"REVERIE! COME DOWN HERE, RIGHT NOW " I shut my eyes, a whimper leaving my throat as I remove my blanket. Holding my bruised stomach, I climb down  the stairs. My brother, Theodore was fast asleep. He had a very rough day at school today and I made sure to put headphones in his ears to avoid him from listening to any of the noises.

"What's taking you so long? You retard!" He shouted again. The reek of alcohol filled my nose as I reach downstairs. Mama was sitting on the dinner table with her nose stuffed with some white stuff. Is she high? Ewu.

"Why isn't there food on my table yet, you bitch!" He yelled pulling my wrist. Dad kicked my back, making me land on the cold floor on my stomach. I shut my eyes, smiling as it wasn't as hard as the previous one.

"I'm sorry, I was helping theo with his work" I sit up, wincing at the sound of mom sniffing. The Bandages on my stomach contract as I curl my legs trying to stand up.

"If I don't have food on my table within the next ten minutes, you're dead" He spit and stormed towards the couch. He opened another bottle of alcohol and started to drink it, not even bothering to use a glass.

"You're pathetic" Mama mumbled, distractedly. She doesn't talk to me often because most of the time, she's either with her bad friends or passed out in her room.

She started doing drugs after my elder brother died. She loved him the most out of the three of us. For her, the news of him dying was like a thunderclap. Instead of seeking therapy, she made drugs her way of escapism. Dad was worried about her at first, we even put in a hospital for that, but she always ran away.

I get up thinking of Zane, he would never let them do this. Zane was twenty five years old at that time. He was working in Venice and would return home only for holidays. Even so, we never felt that he was away. He always kept an eye on us.

I light the stove, boiling some water for the pasta. As it was boiling, I cut some vegetables but the only ones I could find were onion and a single garlic. I cover the marks on my skin with Zane's sweater. I stole it from him. Hehe, he didn't know it.

I often had the thought of running away and never looking back. Running far away from this place. The thought would excite me. I've spent my whole life in this cage, I've imagined running away and building a beautiful future for Theo but I can't. Because before this cage, it's my mind in whom I'm stuck.

Transferring the pasta in the plate, I take it to the living room where dad was passed out on the couch. I knew I shouldn't wake him up but that would only add on to my beatings tomorrow.

With shaky hands and thumping heart, I pat his arm. He doesn't Bulge. I wondered if he was dead.
I wouldn't really be sad to hear that, no rev' that's awful.

"Dad" I say softly. He grits his teeth in his sleep and his eyes fly open. His red bloodshot eyes.
I could see the anger flaring through them. His hands formed a fist and it came straight at my face. On some other occasion I would've used my hand to prevent the hit, but right now I had the plate in my hands.

"HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU NOT TO DISTURB MY SLEEP " He roared grabbing my collar. I trembled as he threw the plate to the corner of the room and started unbuckling his belt.

Please no. I really wished Zane was here.

"Turn around, Reverie" he commanded. My bottom lip wobbled as warm tears slipped from my eyes but that's okay. I don't want him to wake theo up.
He's just a child. I don't want him witnessing all this. I've promised to build a fairytale life for him, a healthy world where he gets all the love and happiness he deserves.

"I'm sorry dad....please" I begged as the harsh leather made contact with my skin. My previous scars were not yet healed and so it felt as if blood was oozing out with every hit. He continued it till he was satisfied.
Each time the shrilling sound would Pierce through my ears, tearing my eardrums.

After about fifteen minutes, he was satisfied or his stamina was over. He laid back on the couch and I bring my hands to my back, feeling the wet red fluid stain my dress. Wiping my tears, I quickly remove the sweater not wanting to ruin it with my dirty blood.

I grab a mop from outside and start cleaning the broken pieces of the plate. As soon as I was done with cleaning, I lock the doors and start climbing back up to my room.

"It's okay dad, I know you didn't mean it" I smile turning to look at them one last time before the dawn arrived.

I shut the door of my room and lay in bed with Mr. gogo on one side of me and Theo on the other. He stirred in his sleep and wrapped his small chubby arms around my waist.

"You k' Sissy?" He muttered, sleepily. I smile and peck his forehead.

"Mhm. How could I be in trouble when I have you?"

"Yes, I'll protect you from the cabbage monster" He snuggled into the sheets and a second later, his snores filled the room.

I know my parents don't mean to hurt me but sometimes it's difficult to hold our anger and they just do it because they need to express their anger somewhere. I had made a deal with dad that i would take all his beatings without a word and he would never touch theo. It's my fault anyways.

I just wanna go to sleep.

First chapter done!! I know, it's a little boring but trust me, this was necessary to know about her living conditions

I know, it's a little boring but trust me, this was necessary to know about her living conditions

Do share you views and have a safe and happy day.
Bless you<3
G💌