Chapter Twenty-Five

I'm not sure exactly what I expected when I heard masquerade ball but I don't think I was expecting it to be held at an actual castle. At least that's what it looked like.

The rustic white brick building looked to be 3 stories. The entrance was the middle floor and because of the long elegant stairs up to it I expected that the ballroom itself was actually the bottom floor.

The flashes of numerous cameras came from both sides of the dark purple carpet as we made our way up the stairs. Kyra and I smiled and posed for a couple of the paparazzi photos before making it completely up the stairs.

At the door was a small line of women and two men in matching dark purple suits with clipboards of papers in their hands and a microphone in front of each of them at mouth level. They must've been the announcers.

We entered the line and I watched anxiously as women would go to either man in a one by one manner, say their names and then the men would check on the list first before announcing them and letting them inside and down the stairs. The music from inside could be heard faintly but not enough to drown out the announcers' voices. Before I could give myself a five minute pep talk in my head it was Kyra's turn.

"You'll be alright Lee, remember that you're a goddess, and even more importantly... you're his goddess", she smiled reassuringly before turning to the announcer to our right.

"Kyra Martinez", she said to the announcer. He didn't even have to flip through the papers to find her name and nodded his head before clearing his throat as she walked to the very top of the stairs.

"Announcing, Lady Kyra Martinez", the man called out loudly before Kyra smiles and began walking down the stairs.
What I would've done to have have seen Beck's face when he saw her.

I took a deep breathe and walked forward to the man on the left.

"Leah Rhodes", I said to the man with a polite smile.

He didn't need to turn any pages to find my name either, but he did smirk a little before nodding.

I walked forward to the edge and inwardly gasped at the sight. The ballroom was extraordinary huge. On the far left was a band of many different instruments playing  gothic sounding music as couples waltz in front of the stage. On the right side there was a drink bar, along with plenty of tables where people either sat while talking or stood in groups talking. The back wall was lined with floor to ceiling windows and 3 sets of back doors that seemed to lead to a balcony. Everyone and everything looked so elegant. The decorations were dark purple and gold, giving a definite masquerade vibe.

"Announcing, the birthday girl and Lord Grayson Hart's little goddess, Lady Leah Rhodes", th announcer called out. I quickly turned back to him, in shock at the title I had been given.

The man nodded, a silent confirmation that that had indeed been what was on the paper for me to be announced as.

Grayson's doing I was sure. I laughed mentally at him. I'll bring this up next time he says he doesn't think he's that possessive.

I faced forward though and held my head high as I proceeded to walk down the stairs. It felt like time had frozen still, every pair of eyes I met seemed to be looking back directly at me. No doubt because of how I had been announced. Grayson and I had not yet gone public with our relationship so I'm sure that some were quite surprised. Mrs. Hart had made a comment that Grayson had never actually came to the masquerade ball with a date before, she said he usually would take the hand of a woman without a date and have her by his side the rest of the evening.

I couldn't believe I was living a main character moment, a moment I had really only ever read about.

Men began to walk towards the stairs as I descended them. I was surprised by how many were showing  interest in me. Whether it because I was pretty or because I was Grayson's, I wasn't sure though. None looked to be the man I was looking for. I began to worry as I got closer to the end of the stairs.