Prologue

I sat on the wooden bench that looked out on the lake with dull eyes void of any emotion. I never thought it would be possible to feel so empty. I had run out of rage and sadness, turns out those emotions don't help the situation. I've never been one to hold a grudge... but this would haunt me for the rest of my life.

I glanced down from the lake to look at my once completely white wedding dress to see it covered in dirt and grass stains. This was the dress I was suppose to get married in.

The dress.

The dress I'd give to my daughter for her wedding far down the road. I was suppose to see this dress in my closet years and years into the future and remember the fond and special memories of my wedding. Now I don't even want to look at it.

I never wanted to see this dress ever again. If I had to burn the damn thing I would.

A loud crack of thunder sounded from above me and I cursed right before the sky fell out and rain came falling down harshly. I quickly stood from the bench and gathered the skirts of my dress in my hands before running down the paved walkway of the park bare foot.

I had taken the heels off somewhere at the front of the church in my rush to get as far from there as possible.

The cold raindrops pelted my skin soaking it as I finally made it to the entrance of the park. The rocks and sticks I stepped on hurt like a bitch but I continued on, doing my best to ignore the pain.

It was at the gates of the park that I realized how screwed I was... I had ran all the way here from the church and had no way of getting back home that didn't involve being face to face with someone who had just attended my ruined wedding.

As I racked my brain wondering if I could guilt a taxi driver into giving me a free ride back to the house, a light seemingly flickered on in my head... or I finally noticed the lights of my favorite hole in the wall bar just around the corner.

A drink, I could definitely use plenty of those right about now.

I mentally thanked whatever god or goddess was watching over me for giving me this one small good thing on such a terrible day and ran to the front of the bar before walking in.

At the sound of the bell above the door ringing people took a glance at me and I felt my heart sink as the place grew silent. They were all looking at me with pity.

But I didn't want their pity, I wanted to drink away as much of my sorrows as I could. So what they may have thought of me or the pitiful looks they gave me really didn't matter.

So I lifted my head up a little higher and grabbed the once white skirts of my wedding dress and with all the dignity that I could muster, which honestly wasn't a lot, I walked over to an empty booth and plopped into the seat. I looked around the old bar noticing it wasn't as crowded as it should be on a Friday night, but maybe that was due to the storm brewing outside.

"Rough day sweetheart", asked Reggie, the bartender who was a man in his late 40's who had brown eyes and a heart warming smile.

"I'm sitting here instead of on a plane to my honeymoon in Hawaii... so yeah", I deadpanned.

I cringed at my attitude and gave Reggie an apologetic smile.
"I'm sorry for the bitchy attitude", I sighed holding my head in my hands.

"Honey trust me it seems like you've earned the right to be a little bitchy today. So what can I start you off with to drink", he asked.

"Vodka and punch for us both please, and put Leah here on my bill for the rest of the night", came a new but familiar voice. I looked up to see one of my closest friends Beck standing at my booth with the tux he had warn to my wedding still on.