PROTECTIVE

Narrator

Haerin and Minji now found themselves in their second class, Music Composition.

Minji had been slightly annoyed at Haerin for a bit, until she noticed the student from earlier, the one who asked them if they were foreigners, starting at Haerin from the back of the class.

"Okay, to rip the bandaid off the awkwardness of your first year here at NYU. We're gonna start things off with a group project!" The Professor told the class.

- Haerin POV -

The professor was explaining our first class project.

I was getting really nervous about having to meet new people, but it was comforting that Minji unnie was in the class with me.

"I don't care if you're a pair. I don't care if you're a group of 8. I want you all to get together and compose a song. You will perform your song and then explain the composition process. I want to see what knowledge you have of music composition and what level the entire class is on!" The professor kept explaining the project to the class.

"You will have all of todays class time to compose a song and on our next class day. I expect you all to be done. Now let's not waste time. Find someone to work with and get to it!" The professor finished off.

Everyone in the class suddenly started to get up, except for me and Minji unnie.

I looked down at my desk, a bit unsure of what to do. Until.....

The weird person from earlier...

Stood next to me and asked, "Want to be my partner?"

I looked up a bit confused and suddenly felt a hand land on my leg.

It was Minji unnie.

"She's my partner," Minji coldly answered the person in front of me.

My heart started to flutter at the sudden gesture.

I felt relieved that Unnie came to my aid.

"Well, then how about we all form a group?" The person offered an alternative.

"It's fine. Haerin only speaks Korean," Minji kept coldly responding as if annoyed or something.

"Oh, so if she's Haerin then what's your name?" The person in front of us suddenly asked in Korean.

My eyes and Minji unnie's went wide.

We were so short to find that the person in front of us spoke Korean.

"How about you tell me your name first," Minji scoffed in response.

"You can call me Kid," The person responded while extending their hand for a handshake.

Minji unnie hesitated for a bit, but eventually shook Kid's hand and said... "I'm Minji".

"Haerin?" Kid suddenly extended their hand towards me and I shyly shook their hand.

"So, should we be in a group?" Kid asked us.

"Sorry," Minji unnie responded.

Y/n just took a deep breath and nodded before turning to face find someone else to work with.

I looked down to find that Minji still had her hand on my leg and I couldn't help but smile for some reason.

"Are you okay? Is it okay if we work together?" Minji unnie asked.

I shyly nodded and gave her a smile.

- Minji POV -

"She's actually kind of cute," I thought to myself as I admired Haerin's smile.

I had almost forgotten how upset I got when that kid asked Haerin to be their partner.

I felt a little guilty for not really giving Haerin a choice on who to work with but it was fine. Haerin seemed to have wanted to work with me and as for the kid....

The kid didn't seem to be having any problem finding someone to work with.

It practically looked like everyone was lining up to work with Kid.

"How can you just deny working with Kid like that?" A random girl next me to suddenly asked.

I was very surprised that she asked in Korean.

It seemed like she was an international student too.

"Kid? Is that really their name?" I snickered a bit.

"Umm, well it's actually not known what their name is.... but Kid is rumored to be the adoptive child of Adele," The girl answered.

"Woah, like Adele Adele? The famous singer?" Haerin suddenly got excited.

I furrowed my brows a bit at her sudden reaction.

"Yeah!" The girl answered Haerin.

"I'm Hyein by the way! A South Korean student," The girl suddenly introduced herself.

"I'm Haerin and this is Minji. We're from South Korea too!" Haerin all of a sudden seemed really energetic.

I have Hyein a polite bow and said 'hi'.

"Do you want to be in our group?" Haerin suddenly offered Hyein.

I was a bit surprised that Haerin would even start talking to someone. She mostly seemed very introverted.

"Is that okay?!" Hyein suddenly seemed really excited too.

"Yes, of course!" I answered, trying to match the girls' energy.

Hyein suddenly got up from her seat and went around me to sit next to Haerin.

Hyein and Haerin seemed to quickly get friendly with each other and started to show each other their cellphone cases.

I started to get a little uneasy with how close in proximity Haerin and Hyein were....

Without even realizing it, I placed my hand on Haerin's leg and Haerin quickly turned to look at me.

I panicked a bit once I realized what I had done and tried to take my hand away.

To my surprise, Haerin simply placed her hand on top of mine and giggled.

I felt my heart flutter a little by the touch of Haerin's hand and started to panic even more.

I quickly snatched my hand away from Haerin's and cleared my throat.

"Let's get started," I coldly told the girls. 

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-