Overseas game (12)

(Kokushibo's POV:)

I came out of the bathroom, toweling my slightly damp hair, when I heard a knock on the door.

"-Hm. She decided to come after all?"

It wasn't that I really wanted to play chess with Y/n, it was just a spontaneous thought when I saw that Y/n was upset. And also it was just something about Y/n that caught my eye from the first time I saw her at the Upper Moons meeting. Something captivating, but I could not say what exactly.
Or was it just her voice? I did not know.
And besides, I just wasn't busy at the time, so thought, why not?

(No one's POV:)

He walked over to the shoji door and opened it. Y/n stood in front of it, blinking at him with her y/c eyes

"-Good night."

"-Come in" he replied, and closed the shoji door behind her.

Y/n was wearing y/c-colored sleeping robe, what barely reached her knees. It fit well around her waist, but was also loose in the sleeves.
Kokushibo couldn't help but notice that in the moonlight, it looked good on her.

He slightly stretched out his hand on the bed, inviting her to take a seat, and went to the closet, searching the shelves. And then he heard Y/n's voice

"-Kokushibo"

"-Hmm?" he cooed back, peering into the depths of the shelves. As the he heard something he hadn't expected

"-How to play in... chess?"

(Y/n's POV:)

Kokushibo turned his gaze to me, looking me in the eye

"-How to play in chess?" he repeated calmly, slightly raising his eyebrows.

I remained silent, trying to smile.

Then Kokushibo turned back to the bed, already carrying what he needed, and exhaled quietly and deeply

"-You don't know how to play chess?" he asked me, placing the wooden box with the checkerboard on the bed.

I hummed in agreement in response. Kokushibo nodded and sat down across from me, opening the wooden box.

(No one's POV:)

He exhaled. It was actually quite strange, he understood now, to expect you to know about foreign board games. But really, it wasn't hard for him to explain it to you. Still, he was the one who invited you.

"-Alright, I'll explain everything. Look at this..." he said, and picked up one of the pieces lying on the large futon.

You made yourself comfortable, lying down on your stomach, with your hands on your chin and your feet in the air: you were ready to listen to him.

"-This is a pawn. The simplest piece. It can move one square forward..."

_______________________________
Kokushibo spent some time explaining the basics of chess to Y/n. She listened attentively the whole time, looking carefully, scrutinizing each of the skillfully carved wooden pieces Kokushibo showed her, sometimes nodding.

Or was she looking at him?

Though in fact, Upper Moon One noticed that every time she gave a hum of approval, something tensed below the waistband of his loose sleeping kimono... but he quickly shook off such thoughts as he continued to tell her. When it came to the King's piece, he showed her how to move, as he had with the others, and then decided to show her how to checkmate.

"-Look, Y/n. Now you take your own piece..." he said, looking carefully at Y/n.

"-...and you make checkmate."

Y/n picked up her piece and prepared to move it carefully.

"-No, not that one. Let me show you..." Kokushibo said, and held out his hand to show which figure he was referring to.
But Y/n didn't quite understand him, so she didn't let go of the figure and...

In a moment, Kokushibo realized that he had taken hold of Y/n's hand. He froze for a second, looking up at her, and saw that she was just as confused as he was.
But then coming back into present moment quickly, he let go of Y/n's hand, and Y/n, in turn, not taking her eyes off him, followed and removed her hand from her piece.

Kokushibo was about to say something, either an apology or something else, since there didn't seem to be much to apologize for, but then a knock on the shoji's door interrupted his thoughts.

Thank you so much for reading this chapter! If you like it don't forget to leave a comment!
See you in next chapter!!!