Moonlight (45)

The moon was already shining high in the cloudless, calm sky, illuminating the dark and dense forest full of pines and spruces.

Its light was full of peace and tranquility.

The animal would have realised that it was time to go to a warm hole or nest before predators could be seen.

The human would know that it is time to return home before the demons are seen.

Although in reality, probably any of them would have been asleep by now. They would be dreaming sweet dreams in their warm homes, wrapped in leaves, their tails, or a blankets.

And Y/n kept running and running without stopping. Searching and searching.

She knew that she was one of the most powerful demons in existence. She knew that it was her destiny to do the bidding of her demon lord.

And she wanted to fulfill it— to find the Blue Spider Lily, the Blue Lycoris - the cherished wish of her demon lord. She wanted it more than anything else.

The only thing was that all her searches for hours had been in vain.

Every tree she stopped under, every bush she peered under, every flower she bent over, it was the same.

Nothing.

Nothing of what she needed.

Y/n's thoughts raced through her head as she continued on her way

"-Nakime... She's a smart woman... Very talented... And her Blood Demon Art... is amazing!... But did even she fail?... Did she give us the wrong coordinates?... Did she..."
Y/n thought as she looked into the depths of the forest.

"-But Nakime gave the other Upper Moons instructions too. What if...?" she suddenly thought.

But then she took a deep breath.

"-No, if someone from the Upper Moons had found us by now, she would have brought us back by now." She waggled her eyebrows.

"-Then no one has found it yet. But it's after midnight..." she glanced up at the sky again, and felt her heart beat even faster.

Y/n continued on her way through the thick of the mountain forest, which dawned and then thickened again on her way.

As the night wore on, Y/n had less and less faith that she would find the cherished blue flower.

The sky was becoming more and more cloudy, obscuring her path, and she was getting more and more tired.

Several times she wanted to stop, to catch her breath, but every time Y/n did, she suddenly felt a pang of almost unbearable fear.

Fear for her life if she failed to complete the task from her lord.

A terrible, corrosive feeling.

She knew that he could kill her, kill all the Upper Moons, kill even Nakime— anyone who didn't do his bidding.

No matter how difficult it appeared to be.

But there was also another feeling in her.

A feeling that no one knew about.

A feeling that Y/n had been hiding from his eyes since that very night, the very first time she looked at her lord.

She didn't know if he knew about it, if he had ever caught her mind thinking about it, but she was afraid to think about what would happen to her if he found out.

She didn't want him to be sad, she wanted to be the one to give him what he had wanted, no—craved for so many centuries.

And that was the reason why she wanted to do it.