Birdsong (40)

I must have been having my tenth dream, when the singing of morning birds outside the window began to wake me up.

I wanted to move, but then I felt Douma's arms around me preventing me from doing so.

His warm breath tickled my forehead, moving the strands of hair on it in all directions, and his calm heartbeat soothed me, making me fall back into a sweet slumber

But I was still curious about the birdsong.

So I gently removed his arms from around me — fortunately, Douma was sleeping quite deeply, so it was not so difficult to do, and got out of his arms.

I got up from the futon and stretched, yawning.

It was very cloudy outside, so the sun wasn't reaching me, and I didn't have to worry about it.

So I quickly put on my shoes, and quietly opened the shoji door and went out onto the Engawa (traditional Japanese veranda).

And fortunately for me, the sound of the birds that had attracted me here immediately became stronger.

I quickly looked around, trying to find the source of the sound, and then a smile spread across my face.

Two small red birds were sitting on a tree branch nearby, chatting animatedly about something.

One of them seemed to be trying to tell her best friend the best news of the forest, while the other listened attentively, playing along in amazement.

I've never been a big fan of birds, but for some reason this sight has evoked tender feelings in me.

Everything around looked so calm, so cozy...

And besides, I was very glad that the birds did not fly away when they sensed the aura of the demon nearby.

Then I thought of something and a smile spread across my face. An idea came to me and I was aching to know if it would work.

"-Blood Demon Art: Song of the Moon." I whispered softly, and walked closer to the edge of the Engawa.

Here I began to hum a simple, calm melody that came to my mind and returned my gaze to the two red birds.

They immediately stopped their negotiations and turned their little heads sharply toward me.

Then they abruptly flew up from where they were and... landed on my palm.

I froze in amazement, watching the little creatures rub their red heads against my hand.

The hand of a demon that could tear them apart in a split second. The hand of one of the most powerful demons to exist—Twelve Kizuki, of Upper Moon Four.

But to them, hearing my song, it seemed that my comfortable, soft y/c hand was no different from a human's.

I never thought that my Blood Demon Art could work on animals.

Then a thought flashed through my mind

"-Wait. But that means I can use th..."

Suddenly I felt arms around me, and a landing chin on top of my head
"-Good morning, Y/n-chan.~" felt I a kiss on my hair.
"-I never thought a bird would land on a demon's hand."

"-Good morning, Douma." I turned my head to him, leaving a small kiss on his soft lips.
"-This is all my Blood Demon Art technique. But yes, I didn't know it works on animals as well."

"-Your techniques are truly incredible.
I've never heard of any Upper Moon with such powers in centuries."

"-Speaking of capabilities. How did we get here yesterday? I didn't hear the sound of Biwa." I asked, suddenly remembering.

Douma chuckled

"-That's right, I haven't told you yet. I learned how to teleport myself without Nakime, just like Kokushibo-dono. It's not really that difficult, only thing is..."

Suddenly, Douma interrupted abruptly. I wanted to ask why, but then I heard the sound of... running across temple's rooftops?

The smell was familiar, but l couldn't point whose.

And then, in a few moments, a silhouette appeared next to us, jumping from the roof onto the Engawa.

Daki.

But what was she doing here so early in the morning?

"-Hello, Douma-dono, hello, Y/n!" she shouted happily, and ran up to us.

The birds immediately flew out of my hands and the smile disappeared from my face.

"-Daki! What's wrong? Why are you yelling like that? It's five in the morning!" I said to her in a screaming whisper.

She immediately matched me and began to speak in a loud whisper, trying to catch her breath

"-I'm sorry Y/n-chan! It's because I was running home, but then I smelled the sunrise and thought I wouldn't make it! So I came here because the Douma's temple was the closest place I could think of to come!"

"-I see. But you scared my birds away." sighed I, turning away to see where my two
red-feathered pets could go.

Her face immediately turned guilty

"-Oh. I'm sorry..."

Then she pouted her lips thoughtfully and snapped her fingers

"-I know how to cheer you up! If the clouds are so heavy now, let's go hunting, Y/n!"

"-Hunting?"

Only now did I realize that I hadn't eaten for quite a while.

My stomach suddenly growled.

I guess I was really hungry.

Besides, the sun was out and the clouds were thick, so what was stopping us?

"-Good."

Daki's delicate face immediately broke into a smile.

"-Yes!" she clapped her hands together lightly.

"-Can I come with you?" suddenly asked Douma enthusiastically, wide smile appearing on his face.

"-Sorry, Douma-dono, but..." Daki smirked, came up to him and took me out of his arms, pulling me to her instead.

"-Y/n-chan and I will go alone."

Hi hi hi! If you like this chapter dont forget to leave a comment it means world to me!
Sending lots of love to you all!!