11

"Ro, this isn't me trying to rush things but I love you" I heard her as we had been standing against the wall outside my parents' house.

"R..."

"Ritika, look over here." I watched my five year old cousin Neha calling her from where she sat poolside and Ritika lift her into her arms.

I smiled as she sat down with Neha who showed her the doll l had gotten her a few months back.

"So finally we meet her!" I heard my brother Vishal and sighed although l had not planned to bring Ritika along, I was extremely happy I had.

To say my family was surprised to find me standing on the porch with her beside me was an understatement, they hadn't seen me in quite sometime and with that they knew I had most likely decided to cut the world out.

Seeing someone like Ritika who immediately hugged my mom and even my dad, who was not the hugging type unless he was seriously proud of you, caused some confusion.

Confusion I wouldn't be able to clear up but simply be grateful for her. She had been dragged away from me and happiness filled me as lunch was over so that I could have her to myself but little Neha had other plans.

"Yeah, we're going back tonight."I said mostly concentrating on Ritika's expressions as she tried to keep Neha entertained.

They loved her and I was happy that they had, either way l would still want her but it was nice being able to put their mind at ease about me. I knew my mom was concerned and I had no way of stopping it but seeing how Ritika simply lit up a room and made me smile let her know I had someone who was looking out for me.

"Come on, just stay for one more day, we can go down to the pools and..."

"The beach is closed for the month" I sighed as I really wanted to take her there.

She had confessed many times her love for the beach and how just like the waves were free and had no real direction that's how many of us were. In the end they always drifted back to where they belonged.

"Mom is happy that you actually came home for your birthday this year" Vishal nudged me considering I had missed a couple.

"Guess I felt like celebrating" I smiled and stood up.

"Ritika!"

She glanced up at me before setting Neha down and I walked over to her and crouched in front of her.

"I just wanted you to know" she whispered apologetically.

"I love you too" I whispered into her lips before giving her a quick kiss.

I did.

I loved Ritika Sajdeh.