15

"Who are you Ritika? I don't need my girlfriend to pay my student loans. If I wanted that I would have gone to my parents."I shook my head as l entered the kitchen.

"Don't try and be the proud man, Ro. I don't mind"

she reached for my hand but I shook my head and walked away.

"Its enough that I can't even take you on a proper dinner. You bought this apartment and l'm not even sure how much it costs."

I hated not having enough money to treat Ritsy the way she deserved but I didn't want to be the man to ask my parents for money. Especially when for the past couple years when I had kept my distance I hadn't asked them for anything. The money that came from domestic Cricket wasn't enough to afford a lifestyle plus college in a city like Mumbai. I knew they wouldn't hesitate in giving it but I had Ritika and it would have felt as if I were merely asking due to her presence in my life...

"Ro.."

"You are my girlfriend. I am meant to treat you to everything you want, not the other way around" I whispered before taking a seat at the table.

"'Says who? Society says that men can only be gentleman or good boyfriends if they buy their companion things? So why I can't I be a good girlfriend? It doesn't matter to me, Ro" She argued and soon set herself on my lap, wanting me to look at her and I did.

"Where is all this money coming from?" I slowly asked and I briefly felt her tense and I didn't like that she did.

"What?" She whispered.

"This money, where is it coming from?" I frowned as I had been so wrapped up in the months with Ritsy that I hadn't really questioned anything when it came to that. She would always set money in the bill and drag me out of the several restaurants before I could question anything.

Even ordering food, she'd make sure she was first at the door to take care of it and the furniture...

"Its.." She searched my eyes as she seemed hesitant and I knew me asking her meant she would have to tell me something.

"Look, I don't ask you anything because I know how you are but I am letting you spend this money on us when we're both students. I.."

"My mom." She sighed and looked down into her lap and took my hand in hers.

"What?"

She had never mentioned any family to me before so I understood why she had seemed hesitant to tell me l just wished she would continue.

"My mom set up a trust fund for me as soon as I turned 18. I got a scholarship so I choose what I get to do with it. Its quite a lot so.. I don't mind.

We shouldn't have to be restricted by anything Ro. Don't be mad chunky bear" She smiled.

I never liked arguing with her but our arguments were always involving me and my insecurities as the boyfriend I should have been for her. And this led to me discovering something, something that may have been the only thing.

But it put my mind at ease, I didn't 't like the idea of Ritsy being involved in something I wasn't aware of.

I decided not to question her further even though l would have liked to know about her family. If she told me one thing I had hope that she would gradually share more..

"After this auction I will get picked up by a big team and I will be rolling in the money and l'm going to treat you like a queen, Ritsy Bear."

She smiled as she leaned back pulling my arms around her.