Chapter 8

"Girl, sorry but I can't go," Justine said. "I have plans Friday night."

"Damn, really?"

"Yep. A guy from work finally asked me out. I've been wanting him to ask me for ages."

"Oh, good for you." I tried to sound excited for her, but inside I was shaking. What was I going to do now?

"Thanks!" she squealed. "We actually met for coffee yesterday, but this will be our first official date. I'm so excited. His name is Drew and he's so hot."

I barely listened to her go on about her co-worker as I racked my brain trying to think of a different excuse I could give James about my going out Friday night. Maybe it was best if I didn't go at all. But Harry really wanted me there. And nothing felt better than being wanted.

"So what are you gonna do?" Justine asked finally.

"I have no idea," I sighed.

"Well it sounds like fun," she said. "Have you met Harry's friends before?"

"A few of them, yes."

"Are they cute?"

I laughed. "Yes."

"Damn, sorry I have to miss it."

"It's okay," I said. "I may just tell Harry I can't go after all."

"No!" Justine protested. "You have to go. You'll have so much fun. Besides, you have to relay all the details to me."

"But what I am going to tell James?"

"Just tell him it's a college party that you heard about from someone in your class and you got invited. That's basically the truth."

"Yeah, I guess so," I considered.

"He doesn't have to know who. He probably won't even ask."

"Probably not."

"Well, I have to go, hon, talk to you later," said Justine.

"Okay. Have fun with Drew."

"Thanks! I plan on it!" she giggled before hanging up.

*

Monday morning I waited outside the History classroom for Harry. His eyebrows immediately raised in question when he saw me.

"Justine can't go. She has a date," I said.