Chapter 25

"Tisa," I vaguely heard someone whisper my name. I wasn't sure if I was dreaming as I rolled over, my eyes still shut tight.

"Tisa," I heard again. "Tisa, honey, do you want some dinner?"

I felt a hand on my shoulder, shaking me awake. I opened my eyes slightly to see Penny with a look of concern on her face. I shook my head, the best way I could manage.

"No," I muttered. "I just want to sleep."

"Sure thing, baby doll," she whispered. I felt her pull off my boots before she lifted the blanket to cover me. I sighed and fell immediately back to sleep.

I had a dream where Harry and James's roles were reversed. Harry was my husband, and I was having an affair with James. Even in my dream, I was sick to my stomach, knowing I was doing a horrible thing. But the worst thing of all was the look on Harry's face when he found out. I woke up drenched in sweat, and I felt like I had a fever. I made it to the bathroom before I dry heaved over the toilet. My entire body felt clammy as I ran a cool washcloth down my face. I tiptoed into the kitchen, hoping to find something to settle my stomach. Because I hadn't eaten dinner, I figured I needed to get something in me. I opened the fridge to find the leftovers of whatever Penny had made, but one whiff sent me back to the bathroom.

After washing my face once more, I dug in my bag and found some aspirin to take. At least it would get rid of the pounding in my head. I settled on a piece of dry toast and some ginger ale, and slipped out onto the veranda to eat it, letting the cold night air blow through me and lower my temperature.

I hated being sick. I supposed it might not actually be the flu, though it felt like it. It could have been stress-induced. With all that had happened in the last week, it was no wonder. The stress and worry had finally caught up with me and my body had given out. I took deep breaths, releasing them slowly, trying my best not to throw up again. I nibbled on my toast until it was all gone, then walked back inside. I sat on my bed and grabbed my phone to look at the time. 3:42AM. Way too late and way too early to call or text Harry. I really wanted to talk to him, but it would have to wait.

I gently laid back down, feeling weak but slightly better than I had when I woke up. I was still hot, so I left the covers off as I shut my eyes and listened to my own breathing until I drifted off to sleep once again.

When I woke up the next time, I could tell it was morning. Sunlight streamed dimly through the blinds as I opened my eyes slightly, and I felt a hand on my forehead.

"Tisa, you're burning up," murmured Penny.

"Yeah," I groaned. "I caught a bug or something."

"I'll be right back." Penny walked away with her lips pursed. I tried my best to sit up when she returned with a glass of water and a basket.

"Pills or liquid?" she inquired, holding the basket out for me to see its contents. An array of medicines filled it including cough syrup, fever reducers, Pepto-Bismol and even an anti-depressant. I chose the Ibuprofen and took the water from her other hand.

"Do you want something to eat?" Penny asked when I'd swallowed the pills.

I shook my head. "Not right now."

I placed the water glass on the end table and laid my head back on the pillow, suddenly feeling a chill. Penny pulled the blankets back up, covering me to my neck.

"You just get some rest," she insisted. "I have to leave for work."

I shut my eyes and nodded. Once Penny was gone, I realized I should inform Harry that I wouldn't be at class. I texted him a short message that I was ill and I'd talk to him later, followed by the kissing and sleeping emojis. Then I buried myself under the covers and went back to sleep.