Chapter 34

"I got a job!" I told Harry Tuesday afternoon on the phone. I knew he was getting ready to head out the door for work, so I wanted to catch him.

"That's great!" he exclaimed. "When do you start?"

"Tomorrow. They need someone right away, but they're wiling to take me half a day until school's out."

"Wonderful. I'm so happy for you, love."

"Thanks," I beamed.

On Monday I had gone to the temp agency to speak with a woman there about possible job placement. She sent me on an interview on Tuesday after school with a small real estate office. I felt like the interview had gone well, and by four o'clock I'd gotten the call that I had the job. I was so incredibly relieved.

"I'm off tomorrow so when you get home, I'll take you out to celebrate," said Harry. "Our Japanese restaurant if you'd like."

"Yes, I'd like that," I replied.

Soon after I hung up the phone, Penny arrived home. I told her the good news as soon as she walked through the door.

"Oh, I'm so happy for you, baby doll," she expressed as she embraced me in a tight hug. "I knew things would work out for you."

"Thanks, Penny."

"So here's the plan," she said as she set her purse on the kitchen counter. "My band has a gig on Saturday, the 20th. I'd love for you and Harry to come. And I was thinking we could sort of celebrate Christmas together before Zack and I leave for his parents' the next day."

"That sounds like fun," I smiled.

Penny narrowed her eyes and sucked in her lips as though she was afraid to say the next thing.

"I thought we could exchange gifts," she said hesitantly.

"That's fine," I nodded.

"Are you sure? We don't have to, Tisa. I know you're kind of watching your money right now."

"It's fine," I repeated. "No problem."

"Perhaps we should set a limit?" Penny offered. "Say, twenty-five dollars?"

I felt my shoulders relax. "That's a good idea."

"Okay," Penny grinned. "Good."

I cooked dinner that night for Penny and me, and then we watched a little television before heading to bed. Tomorrow was a big day.

And a big day it was indeed. Jacobson popped a quiz on us that I had not been prepared for, but I suppose that's why they call it a pop quiz. I left the classroom feeling like I had a 50/50 chance of passing it. Harry kissed me goodbye, wishing me luck on my first day on the job before heading to his next class. The temperature had dropped tremendously over the last week, so I pulled my hood over my head and walked to the snack bar for some hot cocoa.

English class was almost as bad as History. No pop quiz, but Professor Lloyd had us write a trial paper of sorts about our last book. Unfortunately I wasn't fully caught up on it yet, so I couldn't write as much as I would have liked. But luckily it wasn't for a grade.

Already feeling unnerved about the day's events, I stopped at Penny's to have a quick lunch before heading to work. There was something else that was weighing on my mind, but I pushed it aside so that I may clear my head for my new job.

All of my nerves and anguish washed away when I walked into the small office. The lovely woman with whom I had interviewed named Geraldine greeted me, immediately showing me to my desk. She showed me the basics, which I already knew, but I enjoyed listening to her speak. She then ushered me through the office, introducing me to everyone including two of the lead real estate agents (the third was out of the office), an older woman from the accounting department, and the IT guy. Then we stopped in the break room where she offered me some coffee. I poured myself a cup before returning to the reception desk.