Chapter 17

Harry walked up to me with the look of concern on his face as I stood by the classroom door.

"Everything okay?" he asked.

"Not really," I shrugged. "But it will be. I think I'm going to tell him tonight."

"About us?"

"No. Just that I want a divorce."

Harry nodded with no other sign of emotion than understanding. Professor Crawford walked by then and unlocked the door. Harry took my hand, but I pulled him back to me and kissed him.

"I really love you," I mumbled against his lips which grew into that lopsided grin I adore so much.

"Isn't that sweet?" I heard in a sarcastic tone.

I lifted my gaze to see Liz and Leslie with Charice standing a couple steps behind them. I gave them all a tight-lipped smile and walked into the classroom with Harry. I pulled a pen out of my bag with such force that it flew across the table. Harry stood and retrieved it for me as I cursed under my breath.

"Why do they despise me so much?"

"Don't let them get to you," said Harry. "They're just jealous girls."

"I know it," I huffed.

Leslie and Charice managed to wait until the last second to walk into class, giving me horrible glares as they strutted past my desk. I just couldn't fathom why in the world they hated me so much just because I was with Harry. Yes, it was obvious their friend Britney had a thing for him, but that didn't seem like a valid excuse to treat me like they did.

After class I kissed Harry goodbye and told him I'd call him later. I went home and washed a load of laundry, swept the floor, and worked some on my English paper. I was in the middle of typing when I was startled by my ringtone. It was Harry calling.

"Can I come over?"

"Harry."

"What?" he asked innocently.

"You didn't even want to come stay with me when James was out of town. Now he's back and you suddenly want to come over?"

"He doesn't come home during the day, does he?"

"No," I admitted. "Come on over. I'll see you in a few minutes."

"More like seconds," he said. "I'm at the front door."

I rolled my eyes and laughed. I disconnected the call and walked to the door. He stood on the front porch grinning, a second bouquet of flowers in his hand. This time they were daisies.

"I thought you could use these today."

"Harry," I sighed as I took the flowers.

He followed me inside as I took the bouquet to the kitchen to find a vase. The other bouquet was still on the kitchen table, although they were close to having to be thrown away. It dawned on me that James may have seen them, but I figured he wouldn't question their presence. I would buy flowers now and then just to make the house pretty.

After finding an appropriate vase and filling it with water, I told Harry I would put this set in my bedroom. He followed me there where I placed them on the nightstand.

"They're such happy flowers," I commented.

"That's why I got them," voiced Harry. "Because you deserve happiness."

Suddenly my emotions gushed like a broken dam. Tears streamed down my face, and I ran to Harry, pulling him as close to my body as possible.

"Oh, baby," he breathed into my hair as he ran his hands down my back.