Chapter 23

Penny and I spent most of Sunday afternoon in the laundry room. Harry had called me earlier, assuring me there had been no unwanted guests at the restaurant the night before. He also hadn't gotten anymore ridiculous phone calls from unknown numbers. Though it was only one night, I sighed with relief.

After putting away the last of our laundry, we ate soup and sandwiches and watched a bit of TV before Penny went to bed early. I got into my pajamas and continued watching an old black and white movie. My phone buzzed when it was just about over. Grabbing it thinking it was Harry, I just about came unglued when I noticed James's name displayed.

J: Just so you know, I will no longer be paying your phone bill nor your car note and insurance after this month.

I inhaled slowly, letting the breath out in the same manner. I supposed I should have seen it coming. Of course he wasn't going to pay for anything having to do with me any longer. After thinking of what my reply should be, I texted him back.

T: Fine. I'll find my own means.

He texted back immediately.

J: Good luck.

I stuck my tongue out at my phone, as though James could see me. I knew I shouldn't expect him to still be paying my way, but he didn't have to be a jerk. I felt like he was mocking me with his condescending tone, although I couldn't hear his voice.

I watched the rest of the movie, and when the credits rolled, I turned off the TV and called Harry.

"Hi, baby," he answered, his voice raspy.

"I didn't wake you, did I?" I asked him.

"No, I was reading through our report."

"Oh," I replied with a yawn.

"Sounds like you're about to fall asleep," he remarked.

"Yeah, I am. Just wanted to hear your voice."

"Oh," he said, a smile in his tone. "That's nice to hear. Everything alright?"

I sighed audibly. "Yes and no."

"Tell me," he murmured.

I told him about James's texts, trying my best not to show any emotion. I knew Harry was always there for me, but I didn't want to lay any burden on him, like I thought he needed to pick up the pieces.

"Hmm," he sounded.

"I know I shouldn't be upset," I scoffed at myself. "I'm being ridiculous."

"No, you're not."

"Yeah, I am," I commented, running my fingers through my hair. "I can't expect him to be nice to me. At least he's somewhat civil."

"Tisa, you have every right to feel whatever it is you're feeling," Harry said in a warm tone. "Yes, you asked for the divorce. But that doesn't make it any easier. Of course he's going to throw shit at you to make you look like the bad guy, and himself the victor."

"You're right," I agreed, sighing once more, deciding to drop the subject. "So what about you?"

"What about me?"

"How was the rest of your day?"

"Excruciatingly dull," he announced.

I laughed out loud. "I miss you already."

"I miss you, too. Come over."

"No," I chuckled. "It's late, and I'm already in my pajamas."

"Ooh the sexy ones?" he inquired.