Chapter 39

As I climbed the steps of the courthouse, I felt a knot in my stomach. I hadn't seen or spoken to James in a while now, and even though I knew this would officially be the last time I had to, I was still nervous. Penny had offered to go with me for moral support, but I'd declined. I really wanted to do this all on my own.

I spotted James and his lawyer Glenn Goodner in the hallway. Glenn motioned for me, and when I stepped closer he said nothing, merely opening the door for me to enter the courtroom. I wasn't sure if James even looked at me since I didn't bother looking at him.

Various people were scattered throughout the courtroom, but I kept my eyes straight ahead at the judge. I supposed the fact that the judge was a woman should have made me feel at ease, but it didn't. I watched as several cases were being presented, though I was only half paying attention. The knot in my stomach had begun to unravel slowly, making me feel nauseous. I played with my hands in my lap, picking at my fingernails. Finally, I heard the bailiff say my name.

"Next case presented, request for divorce between James Phillip Jordan and Tisa Bradford Jordan."

Glenn stood then, gesturing for James and I to follow him. Standing before the judge, I felt my knees begin to shake. I took a few deep breaths, hoping I wouldn't pass out. I suddenly began to wish I'd gotten my own lawyer, worrying that perhaps I should have tried to fight for more. But it was too late for that now.

"Mr. Goodner, you are representing Mr. Jordan, correct?" asked the judge.

"Yes, your honor," stated Glenn.

"And no changes are being made to the divorce decree, correct?"

"That's correct, your honor."

"Mrs. Jordan," the judge addressed me, "You are not contesting to anything in the divorce decree?"

"No, your honor," I spoke so clearly I actually surprised myself.

"And do you wish to keep your married name or go back to your maiden name?"

I blinked. "My maiden name, your honor."

"Very well." I jumped as the judge struck her gavel against the hard wood. "I now pronounce this marriage dissolved."

And that was it. Ten years of marriage dissolved in less than two minutes.

I followed Glenn and James back into the hall before hurrying toward the double doors.

"Tisa," I heard behind me as the automatic doors opened. I turned to see James, a pompous look on his face. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Just wanted to tell you I've decided to sell the house," he declared.

"That doesn't surprise me," I commented.

"I'll probably make a good profit. The market's great right now."

"Good for you," I said sarcastically.

"You know, if you had contested, you could have tried to fight for half. Now you get nothing."

I scoffed, rolling my eyes. "Once again, James, you've managed to fool yourself into thinking I want anything from you."

With that, I stepped through the doors and down the stairs to the parking lot.

*

When I'd gotten out of the car, I'd been on a mission. This time I had no nerves whatsoever, only one thought in my head. But as soon as I walked through the doors of Mikado's, I suddenly felt my stomach flip. Taking a deep breath, I turned toward the bar, half expecting to see him, but instead I saw Grayson.