Chapter 33

By Friday I was finally caught up with all my school work. If I wasn't with Harry, I was studying or emailing resumes. I had all but given up, admitting to myself that I'd have to spend the weekend filling out applications at the mall, when just before five o'clock I got a call from a temp agency. It was the same one I had worked for previously, and they had a client that needed someone during the holidays, possibly longer. I made an appointment with the representative for Monday after my English class.

Feeling like things were looking up, I was excited waiting for Penny to get home. It was a rare night where both Harry and Zack were scheduled to work the bar at Mikado's, and Penny and I made plans to go up there together.

We arrived early enough that we didn't have to wait for a seat at the bar. We quickly ordered drinks and a couple appetizers, flirting with our guys and setting the tone for the evening. Soon more customers filled the empty seats, including Mr. Thompson whom I made sure sat next to me. Penny thought he was hilarious and charming, and I could tell the feeling was mutual. He even bought us a round of drinks.

By nine o'clock the bar was a party. I had a good buzz, and I could tell Penny did as well. I was in the middle of a belly laugh, a result of one of Harry's corny jokes which seemed ten times funnier drunk, when I finally realized Britney was sitting at the end of the bar. I hadn't even noticed her come in, nor sit down. But she must not have been there long since she was just telling Zack her wine preference.

I had to admit I was glad she was sitting on Zack's side instead of Harry's. Most likely if she'd had her way she would be on his side, but seeing as the bar was crowded, she probably took what she could get.

"Oh no!" groaned Penny beside me. She obviously had just been made aware of Britney's presence too. "Isn't that—?"

"Yep," I grimaced.

"What is she doing here?"

I shrugged. "Apparently she's still after Harry. She thinks she has a chance so she's not giving up."

"As if!" Penny exclaimed, rolling her eyes.

I chuckled as I raised my glass to my mouth.

"That poor girl," I heard Mr. Thompson say, leaning towards me. "She's got it bad."

I side-eyed him as I took a sip from my cocktail. "Thanks I lot," I commented sarcastically.

"No, no," he grinned, shaking his head. He lifted his large hand and patted me on the back. "Listen, sweetheart. If Harry has any sense at all - and I know that he does - he'd pick you over her any day of the week."

I felt my mouth ease into a smirk. "Thanks."

"Want me to kick her ass for you?" asked Penny.

I threw my head back in a laugh. "That would be great to see, Penny, but no."

She shrugged. "I could do it if I had to."

"I know you could."

I looked at Harry who was busy mixing a cocktail. When he handed it to the customer, his eyes met mine and he smiled. I felt a little flutter in my chest as I smiled back.

"I'm not threatened by her," I added, my gaze still set on Harry. He winked at me and mouthed the words I love you.

"Good," remarked Penny, her voice in my ear but sounding somehow distant. "You shouldn't be. I wouldn't be."

I love you, too, I mouthed in return.

*

"I think I'm drunk, baby doll," Penny declared, slurring her words. "And I have to pee!"