Chapter 9

"So, I meant to ask you...is this a costume party?"

I sat cross-legged in my chair, drawing doodles in my notebook. Professor Crawford was allowing us to use class time to work on our next paper. But of course most of the class had their own conversations going on that did not pertain to Sociology.

"It is if you want it to be," Harry grinned.

I rolled my eyes. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means we know it's kind of last minute," he chuckled, "and maybe not enough time for some people to get a costume. So if you want to wear a costume, you can, if not, that's fine too."

"Good. 'Cause I don't have anything."

"You mean you don't have a sexy witch costume stashed away somewhere?"

"No!" I exclaimed, poking him with the eraser end of my pencil.

"Ouch," he said, covering his chest with his arms.

"So who all is going to be there?" I asked.

"Don't have the tally yet, but Grayson and me of course, Zack, Joey. Zack's bringing his girlfriend. Maybe Brian. He's actually scheduled to work, but he's going to try to trade with someone if he can."

"Zack has a girlfriend?"

"Yeah, Penny. They've been going out for a bit. You remember, the lads were going to see her band that night you came over."

"Oh, that's right," I nodded. "So it worked out for them, huh?"

"Yeah." Harry gave me a knowing look. He didn't have to say anything else. I was feeling the same thing. I wished it could work out for us.

I gazed around the classroom and noticed not only had the chatter gotten louder, but Crawford had left the room. I looked back down at my notebook and started doodling again. After a few seconds I heard Harry say my name so low, it was almost a whisper.

"Yes?" I asked in the same volume. I didn't dare look at him; I just continued drawing shapes. But when he didn't answer, I was forced to lift my head. The look in his eyes gave me a hint of what he was going to say. But instead, he seemed to change his mind as he cleared his throat.

"I didn't tell anyone in either of our classes about the party," he continued softly. "Just in case they were to find out...you know...about us."

"Okay."

"I mean, I don't know how much they already know, but some of them I'm sure know you're married."

"Yeah. I understand."

"Zack knows," Harry muttered.