Chapter 29

Both Harry and Zack had to work the lunch shift on Sunday, so Penny and I headed home around ten that morning. I knew I needed to sign those divorce papers. The inevitable had been weighing on my mind for far too long, so I finally opened the envelope and sat at Penny's table to read through them.

"Want some coffee?" I heard Penny ask when I was halfway through the documents.

I lifted my head to see her walking into the small kitchen.

"That would be great," I nodded. "Thanks."

Penny was quiet as the coffee brewed in the pot. I knew she probably had a million and a half questions she was dying to ask me, but she stayed silent for my benefit. As I continued to the next page, I could smell the strong aroma. Penny poured two cups of coffee, adding the creamer that she knew I liked. Then she placed one of the mugs next to me and sat down at the table.

"Everything okay?" she finally asked.

"Yeah," I sighed. "It's actually not as bad as I thought it would be."

"How so?"

I shrugged. "I guess I thought it would be way over my head. And I'd have to hire my own lawyer or something, which of course I cannot afford."

"So it's pretty simple, then?" inquired Penny.

"Well, I wouldn't say it's simple. But yeah, I can understand it. I basically just have to fill in the blanks and sign. Then mail it back to his attorney. After that, I just have to wait for the court date."

"Okay," Penny muttered. "Good."

She looked at me with concern written all over her face. I knew what she was wondering. If I was going to break. The truth is, I thought I was going to myself. But so far I felt fine. No boiling tension rising in my chest, no tears coming to the surface.

"I'll be okay," I told Penny, but also to reassure myself.

*

After filling out the papers and having a bite to eat, Penny and I went shopping for our Thanksgiving meal. We decided not to get a huge turkey since it was just going to be the four of us, but we still got a decent sized one. I got the ingredients to make my two favorite dishes - broccoli rice casserole and sweet potatoes, and Penny insisted on baking both apple and pumpkin pies as well as stuffing and a layered salad.

"Penny, we're not cooking for a huge crew here!" I exclaimed.

"I know," she shrugged. "But it's the only time I get to make these things."

As we pushed our heavy cart to the check-out line, something caught my attention out of the corner of my eye. I turned to my right and saw Justine two aisles down. For a split second I hoped she hadn't seen me, but no such luck. She raised her eyebrows and waved. I scowled and turned quickly away. She had some nerve, acting as though nothing was going on between us.

"Hey, Tisa," said Penny. "I think that woman over there is trying to get your attention. Do you know her?"

"Yes," I rolled my eyes. "That's Justine."

"Ah! The infamous Justine."

I chewed my lip and tried to act like I was interested in something on the cover of the People magazine on display. Fortunately the line moved quickly and we were next to empty our cart's contents onto the conveyer belt. As soon as we'd paid and the sacker had put all of our bags into the cart, however, I saw Justine coming towards me.

"Hi, Tisa," she greeted, her voice hopeful.

"Justine," I acknowledged with a curt nod.

She audibly sighed, her shoulders slumped. "We really need to talk."