Chapter 32

The weekend went by pretty fast. Harry had to work both Friday and Saturday night. Penny's band had a gig on Friday so I went with Zack to go see them play. Joey met us up there as well, and it was nice to get to know him a little better. He's a sweet guy and fun to be around. He confided in me that he was a bit envious of Harry, and hoped he could find a nice gal like me. He asked if I had any friends I could hook him up with, to which I laughed and said no, but I'd be on the lookout.

Penny and I slept in on Saturday, both with slight hangovers. Then we watched chick flicks all day in our pajamas. Harry called before he left for work like he always did, and once he'd returned.

Before I knew it, it was Monday and time to go back to school. Professor Jacobson delved quickly into a lecture about our final chapter, giving us a heads-up on a quiz planned for the next week before our final exam. Professor Lloyd was also in full accelerator mode. Because I had missed so much of both classes when I'd been sick, I was rather behind. Fortunately for History class, all I really needed to do was study the end of the previous chapter. With English, however, I had missed the introduction to the new book that Lloyd had assigned, and apparently had told us to get on started on during the week of Thanksgiving. I had a lot of catching up to do.

I wasn't in the door ten minutes when my cell phone rang. A number that I didn't recognize was displayed, but because I had applied for a few jobs, I decided to answer it. I quickly regretted it.

"Hello, Tisa, this is Glenn Goodner."

It took me a moment to recognize the name, but once I did I grimaced. The divorce lawyer.

"Hello," I greeted through my teeth.

"How are you today?" he asked in a cheerful voice.

I sighed. "I'm okay."

"Fantastic. I was calling to let you know a date has been set for court. Monday, the twenty-six of January, at two PM."

I was grateful that he hadn't continued with the small talk and just cut to the chase.

"That's fine," I told him softly. "Thanks."

"You're quite welcome," Glenn replied. "See you then."

He didn't wait for me to respond. I held my phone in my hand, debating whether or not to call Harry. Not that there was really much to say. The date was set. Done deal.

Instead I made a sandwich and opened my laptop to search for more jobs. If I didn't find something soon, even if it was just temp, I might have to start applying for holiday help at the mall. The thought of that made my stomach churn, but at least it would be something. I had very little money in the bank. When I'd taken my last temp job, I'd opened a checking account of my own. The job hadn't been a financial necessity, but more of something to keep myself busy. I hadn't worked that job for very long, however, and the money would soon run out. I needed something fast.

I went to Harry's that night so we could go over our Sociology report again, but really it was just an excuse to see each other. We still had to present our report the next day since I'd been unable to that week before Thanksgiving, but we still knew it backwards and forwards.

"You okay, love?" Harry asked me, running a hand through my hair as I laid against his chest on the sofa.

"Yeah, why?"

"You seem...distracted. Like something's on your mind."

I scoffed. "There's a lot of things on my mind."

"Tell me."

I sighed loudly, gathering my thoughts. Harry pointed the remote at the television and turned it off, giving me his full attention.