Chapter 13

I pulled into the parking lot and spotted Harry's car immediately. There were no free spaces beside his, so I had to park a little further away and walk to his building. As I got close, I noticed the window to his bedroom was dark, but the light from the television in the living room shown through the blinds. Of course it could've been Zack, but the thought of Harry relaxing on the couch watching a movie felt like a punch in the gut.

Recalling my mission, I knocked on the door loudly.

"Tisa!" Zack exclaimed when he opened it. "Come in."

"Hey," I said a bit cowardly as I stepped inside. "I guess you know why I'm here."

Zack shook his head. "Not really. He came home and went straight to his room and slammed the door. What happened?"

"I don't know," I began to cry. Suddenly I noticed Penny emerging from Zack's bedroom.

"Hey, baby doll!" she squealed, reaching her arms out for a hug. "What's going on with you and Handsome?"

I sighed as we embraced, then quickly dried my eyes.

"I need to talk to him," I stated.

"Of course," said Zack, gesturing toward Harry's room.

I cleared my throat and knocked on his door. There was no answer so I knocked again and called his name.

"Harry, it's me," I said. "Can I come in?"

Still no answer. I began to sob.

"Harry, please talk to me."

"I tried the same thing earlier," I heard Zack say behind me from the living room. "He told me to go away. About an hour ago he finally came out and went to the bathroom and took a long shower. Then he went straight back to his room and shut the door again."

Bowing my head, I slid down the wall and hugged my knees.

"Did you two have a big fight?" Penny asked.

"Not exactly," I replied.

"You seem so perfect together. He isn't cheating on you, is he?"

"No," I shook my head. "It's complicated."

"Is this about..." Zack implied.

My eyes met his and I nodded.

"About what?" Penny inquired.

"Nevermind, Penny," said Zack. "You don't know the whole story."

"Well, excuse me for living! I was just trying to help."

"It's okay, Penny," I assured her. "I appreciate it."

Just then Harry's bedroom door opened. I looked up to see him standing there shirtless, only wearing a pair of shorts, his hair still damp from the shower. His eyes looked heavy and bloodshot.

"Hi," I whispered as I braced myself against the wall, trying to stand up.

"Hi," he whispered back.

Suddenly all my words had left me. Everything I'd intended to say was gone. I couldn't remember any of it.

"I...um...I had to talk to you."

Harry nodded slowly. I heard someone, Zack I think, clear his throat behind me.

"Let's leave them alone," he said as he turned off the TV. I heard Penny and him walk to his room and shut the door, my eyes still on Harry.

"Do you want to sit out here or go in your room?" I asked.

"Bedroom," Harry answered in his raspy voice.