Chapter 42 Sad News

Rosalie and Paul were so happy to have a daughter; there was only one problem, Charlie. How were they going to break the news that Bella had died giving birth to their child? Rosalie and Paul decided to tell Charlie about Emily Rose. It was the right thing to do, though they needed to create a plausible story. They decided to discuss it with the family.

After talking with Jared and Carlisle, they decided to tell Charlie the truth. He had a right to know what truly happened, But they were not going to mention anything about Selene or Percy, that needed to remain a secret.

Charlie had been calling, looking for Bella. Bella left a note for Charlie, telling him that she and Edward were getting married. That was the last thing he heard from her. Bella had been missing for more than a month. Finally, Charlie received a call from the Cullens. Carlisle asked him to come over to talk, Charlie quickly hung up and rushed out of the house; he sped to the Cullen house as quickly as he could.

When he arrived, he was met by the Cullens and surprisingly, Jared and the boys from the reservation. Carlisle invited Charlie to the house, “Where's Bella?” Charlie asked.

Carlisle sighed, this was going to be difficult to explain and harder for Charlie to accept. So, Carlisle invited Charlie into the living room where everyone else gathered, “Charlie, there are things we have to tell you first before we discuss Bella and Edward.”

Charlie was growing impatient, but he reluctantly agreed to hear them out. Carlisle went first and explained that he and his family were all vampires. Charlie didn't believe it at first, but once Carlisle gave him some demonstrations, Charlie was forced to accept the truth. After that, he turned to Jared, “And what's your story, Jared? Are you vampires too?”

Jared shook his head, “No, Charlie, Carlisle had to explain about vampires first. Now I can tell you our story. Everyone in the room except for the Cullens, of course, can change into wolves.”

Charlie laughed, but Jared looked at Paul, who nodded. Paul quickly stripped down to his boxers and suddenly a giant wolf was standing where Paul used to be. Charlie jumped back in surprise, “Holy Shit!”

Paul lay down in front of Charlie to prove he wasn't a threat. Then Jared explained about the fever and their transformations. He explained that some members of the tribe had the gene and when vampires appeared, they would shift to protect their people. Charlie looked at Jared confused, “If vampires are your enemies, why are you here with the Cullens?”

Jared then explained about imprinting and explained that Selene and Paul imprinted on Emmett and Rosalie and Jacob imprinted on their cousin, Tanya. Charlie looked around, “Okay, what does this have to do with my daughter?”

“Charlie, Bella, and Edward were mates. They left town to get married in Las Vegas. When they returned, Bella was pregnant. The problem was that the fetus was not compatible with Bella's body and the infant grew at an unprecedented rate. She refused to let us abort the baby, even though we told her there was a good chance she wouldn't survive. But Bella didn't care, and she ended up giving her life for the child. I'm sorry, Charlie, but Bella died and there was nothing we could do to stop it. We even tried giving her our venom but it wasn't enough. And because she died, Edward asked to be killed as well, he's dead too.”

Charlie slumped in the chair and tears began rolling down his cheeks. He sobbed and covered his face while his heart was in agony. He couldn't believe that his little girl was dead. Charlie suddenly raised his head, “And the baby, what happened to the baby?”

Rosalie stepped forward and kneeled in front of Charlie, “Bella asked Paul and me to adopt her and raise her as our own. Would you like to see your granddaughter?” Rosalie asked.

Charlie took a shuttering breath, “Yes, I'd like to see my granddaughter.”

Paul, who had gone upstairs to change, heard and picked up his daughter from her crib and took her downstairs. He walked towards Charlie and laid the baby into his awaiting arms. Charlie looked down at his granddaughter and smiled, “She has Bella's eyes. What did you name her?”

“Emily Rose Lahote,” Rosalie informed Charlie.

Charlie smiled, “That's a beautiful name.”

He looked at Rosalie and Paul, “I hope you'll let me be a part of her life. She's all I have of Bella now.”

“Of course, Charlie, you are her grandfather, after all.”

“Thank you,” Charlie stood and handed the baby back to Paul and hugged Rosalie, then Paul.

Charlie rubbed his face, “Well, I guess I need to arrange Bella's funeral and tell her mother.”

Esme stepped forward, “I hope you don't mind, Charlie, but we already made arrangements for Bella and Edward's funerals.”

“Thank you, Esme. I don't think I could have done it by myself.”

Esme hugged Charlie, “You're welcome, Charlie, I know how you feel.”

Charlie nodded and hugged Esme one last time. He turned to leave, but not before he kissed his granddaughter and promised that he would be back later to see her. Once Charlie left, everyone sighed in relief; though Paul had a confused look on his face, “I don't get it, Emily Rose doesn't look anything like Bella.”

“People see what they want to see, Paul, and it's a comfort to Charlie,” Selene explained. Paul nodded.

Now that, that was over with, it was time to move on with the funeral. The Cullens thought it would be better to wait a few days so that Renee had enough time to arrive. The story was going to be that Bella and Edward were in a car accident and perished. Later Esme would call Charlie and tell him what the cover story was. Right now they thought that the Chief needed a little time to himself to process what happened. They all felt terrible for Charlie, but at least he had a piece of Bella in the world, even though that wasn't entirely true.