Chapter 17 Visions

TRIGGER WARNING: ATTEMPTED SUICIDE

Sam and Paul were taken to Emily's house. Paul was laid out on the sofa while Sam was taken upstairs. Right away, Emily noticed that both men were sweating profusely and mumbling. When the pack put Sam down in Emily's bed, and he was able to pick up her scent, things got worse for him. He started trembling and thrashing, calling out for Emily. And no matter how much Emily tried to comfort Sam, it only made things worse.

In Sam's mind, it was the chase all over again. He was running alongside Selene, and they had almost caught the red-haired vampire when suddenly Emily appeared in the path. Sam and Selene skidded to a stop. Sam stared at his imprint, wide-eyed, “Emily, what are you doing here, go back!”

To Sam's surprise, Emily understood him, “Sam, I came to help. I'm here as bait.”

No sooner had Emily said that, than the female vampire was on her and bit Emily and was gone.

“No!” Sam screamed, “Help her,” Sam screamed at Carlisle, who was on the other side of the ravine.

“There's nothing we can do, we can't cross the treaty line, and she's already changed,” Carlisle said.

Sam changed back and kneeled next to Emily. Her skin was pale white and marble hard. She opened her eyes, and they were bright red. Emily looked at Sam sadly, “I'm sorry, Sam, I only wanted to help.”

“It's alright, Sweetheart, we'll work it out.”

Suddenly, Sam heard a furious snarl behind him, he turned around, and saul Paul was staring at Emily with so much hatred in his eyes and hackles raised. Sam realized at that moment that Paul was going to attack his imprint, the same way he attacked Emmett. Sam pushed Emily behind him and faced off against Paul.

“Paul, calm down. This is Emily. She's not going to hurt anyone.”

“She's a parasite, Sam, and in our territory. She needs to be destroyed.”

“You'll have to get through me, Paul,” Sam said.

But Sam discovered that he could not shift. He stood there frozen as Paul rushed forward with his teeth bare. Sam looked on helplessly as Paul began to close in. He looked at the pack for help, but no one moved. Out of the corner of his eye, Sam saw a white blur hit Paul from the side; It was Selene. She and Paul started to fight, but Paul was too strong and quickly tore out Selene's throat, leaving her body lifeless on the ground.

Paul turned towards Sam and Emily, blood dripping from his muzzle and snarled. He rushed Sam and knocked him out of the way. Sam went flying and landed next to Selene's dead body. The next thing Sam heard was Emily screams bloody murder.

“SAM HELP ME! OH GOD, IT HURT!” Emily screamed as Paul began tearing Emily apart. Eventually, the screams stopped, and the only thing that Sam could hear was paul growling and the metallic sound of body parts being torn apart.

Sam sat there next to Selene's dead body staring off into nothing. He felt something roll into his foot. When Sam looked down, he gasped. It was Emily's head, her beautiful face contorted in a look of fear and pain. Tears began to run down Sam's face as he stared at his beautiful imprint. Sam gave out a heart, breaking howl and phased into his black wolf. He took off running through the woods, trying to get the images and sounds of Emily's death out of his head.

Sam ran straight home and changed back. He grabbed his father's old .38 handgun and took off towards the cliffs where the guys go cliff diving. Sam stood there looking out over the sea, crying. He put the gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger. Sam heard the shot, but nothing happened. He whirled around when Sam heard someone laughing at him.