Chapter 20 The Weight of One Life

So, Bella called Jacob and told him what was going on. Jake was about to agree when his head started pounding, and his stomach started cramping, “Um, I have to ask Jared and see what he says.”

“Do you think he'll agree?”

“I'm sure he-” The pain got worse.

“Um, I don't know, he's the Alpha it's his call.”

“Jake, what's the matter with you? Normally you would do what you want without consulting anyone,” Bella asked.

“Things are different now, Bells. I can't go against Jared at all. Not in any way. His word is the law.”

“Oh, okay. So then you'll ask Jared and get back to me?” Bella asked.

“No, Jared probably will.”

“Why not you?”

“As I said, it's his call, Bella. And things are a little more strict now.”

“Okay, then I'll wait for Jared's call, bye, Jake.”

“Bye, Bells.”

Bella came downstairs and walked into the living room where everyone was waiting, “So, what did Jacob say? Are they going to help,” Edward asked.

“I don't know; he's going to ask Jared, and Jared will decide. It's not Jake's call.”

“It's never been Jake's call,” Leah said, “Sam was too lenient with him. Jake's got us involved in stuff that's none of our business.”

“I thought you protected humans!” Edward screamed.

“We do, though I'm sorry to say this, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, Edward. Common military knowledge. Isn't that right, Major?” Selene asked.

“She's right, Edward. An army can't focus all their resources on only a few people or, in this case, two,” Jasper affirmed.

“So Jared would let Bella and Charlie die, what kind of leader is that?!”

“A practical one, I'm sorry, Bella.”

“No, I understand, Selene.”

“You're only saying that because you don't like Bella!”

“You're right, I don't like Bella, but it doesn't make what I said any less true, does it, Jasper?”

“No, it doesn't.”

“You don't like me?” Bella asked in a hurt voice.

“Not you per se, but your actions. And the effect it has had on other people around you. If the pack hadn't been so busy protecting you, they wouldn't have been exposed, and my dad wouldn't have been in the woods when that psycho was there. You don't seem to understand that everything you do affects other people. Look at the stupid stunt you pulled jumping off the cliff. Edward almost died because of it. You don't think things through, and honestly, you're selfish.” Selene told Bella.

“I'm sorry.”

“Don't be sorry, change your ways,” Leah added.

“How dare you speak to Bella like that!” Edward said, getting in Selene's face.

“What are you going to do about it, Pretty Boy?”

“Plenty, Mutt.”

At the same time, Emmett snarled and got to his feet. The whole house shook. The vampires stumble, but Selene and Leah didn't, “What was that?” Alice asked.

Selene smirked, “I'd say the Earth shook.”

“An Earthquake?” Carlisle asked.

“Okay, let's call it that,” Leah said with a laugh and walked upstairs.