Chapter 5 First Patrol

Selene flew in through her open window and settled down on her bed. She quickly transformed back into a human and laid back on her bed. Selene hissed as the gash in her leg throbbed. Sitting up, Selene examined her wound. There were four parallel lines across her thigh, on further inspection, Selene noticed that they weren't as deep as they could have been. Selene limped over to the dresser and took out some antiseptic and some gauze. She sat back down on the bed and sprayed her wound. Selene winced in pain but otherwise said nothing.

Once the antiseptic dried, Selene wrapped the wound and leaned back against her headboard. She sighed, closed her eyes, and waited for her natural healing ability to take over. Selene knew it would probably scar, but eh, what was another scar to add to her collection? Selene was beginning to doze off when there was a knock on her door; she opened her eyes and asked who it was.

“It's Leah, Selene, can I come in?”

“Yeah, of course, Leah.”

Leah opened the door, and the first thing she noticed was the bandage on Selene's thigh, “What happened?”

“Manticore.”

Leah's eyes widen, “You were attacked by a monster here?”

“No, I found a valley to train, and it came out of nowhere. I killed it, of course, but not before it clawed my leg. I met one of the Cullens, by the way.”

“Which one?”

“I don't know which one. He was a big guy, very muscular, with dark hair.”

Leah thought for a moment, “I think his name is Emmett. What was he doing there?”

“He probably heard us fighting. After I killed the manticore, this Emmett guy stepped out from behind a tree and offered to take me to his dad so that he could treat my wound. I told the vampire no; he seemed surprised I knew what he was. Like it isn't obvious.”

“What happened after that?”

“He still wanted to take me somewhere safe, so I shifted into an eagle and flew away. I bet that freaked him out,” Selene said with a laugh.

Leah laughed as well, “I'm sure it did. So you flew home, and here you are.”

“Here I am, I should be good as new in a few hours, with a new scar to add to my collection.”

Leah nods and pats her sister's arm, “Well, get some rest, Shark Bait. I'll make you something to eat, and then we can go pick up Seth from school.”

“Thanks, Pluto.”

Leah laughed and left her sister's bedroom. Selene settled back against her headboard and closed her eyes, but she couldn't go to sleep. She kept thinking about the vampire she met, Emmett. Selene had to admit that for a monster, he was very handsome. She wondered how sincere he was about getting her help, or was it only an excuse to attack her?

‘No, if he wanted my blood, he could have attacked me there in the valley. Maybe he did want to help me.’ Selene speculated.

Selene was also a little unnerved by the attraction she felt toward this man. She had dated before and never felt something like this for anyone else. Why would Selene feel this pull towards a being that was her enemy and a danger to her? Whatever the reason was, Selene decided that it was something that she would have to be careful with him. She couldn't afford to let her guard down around such a being.

An hour later, Leah came in with a tray of food for Selene. She found her sister sound asleep, setting the plate down on the nightstand she gently woke Selene, “Selene, I brought you your lunch.”