Chapter 23 Recovery and Revenge

When Emmett realized that Selene had fallen asleep, he slowed his pace down. Emmett knew that his running wouldn't jostle her awake, but he didn't want to take the chance. As Emmett jogged through the forest, he thought about what Poseidon had told him. Emmett snorts, ‘I can't believe my mate is a demigoddess.’

But that would explain how she changed into an eagle the first day they met and flew away. Emmett hadn't thought about that day since it happened for two reasons. One, he wasn't too concerned about it. In all honesty, Emmett thought that Selene was just another shape-shifter. And two, He didn't want Edward to know that his mate could do that. It was something Emmett wished to keep to himself, so he stopped thinking about it and filed it away in the back of his mind. Emmett was more concerned with finding his mate than the little bit of information, anyway. Now that he knew that Selene was a demigoddess, it was going to take him a bit to wrap his mind around it.

But what was worrying him was that if Selene couldn't be turned, that meant that eventually, Emmett would lose her. If not to old age, then to someone trying to kill her. And that was not something he could live with. Now that Emmett found his true mate, he couldn't imagine living the rest of his existence without Selene.

Emmett held Selene a little tighter at the thought of losing her. But he didn't know all the facts, so he wasn't going to panic just yet. Emmett first had to talk to Selene and find out what it meant to be a demigoddess. Right now, the most important thing was getting Selene home and putting her to bed and make sure she recovers. And maybe kill Rosalie if he has a chance.

Emmett finally gets home and growls at picking up Rosalie and Paul's scent, but it was already fading, so they at least had the decency to leave before he arrived with Selene. Emmett was about to go inside through his private entrance when Leah and Seth come running out of the house.

“Emmett! What happened? Is my sister okay?” Seth yelled as he ran towards Emmett and Selene. Leah was right behind him.

“She's fine, Seth, Sel's only needs to rest for now. Taking her to the ocean worked exactly like Leah said it would,” Emmett said, looking right at Leah. Leah sighed and put her hand over her heart.

Leah knew that Poseidon would know that Selene was injured the minute Emmett took her into the water, and he would come to help, but she still worried about her older sister. While Emmett and Selene were gone, the entire family was on pins and needles waiting for them to return. Carlisle was shocked to know that the venom wasn't turning Selene but killing her. It was not something he was expecting. And because of that fact, he and Esme couldn't bring themselves to leave until he checked on Selene himself.

Alice and Jasper had the same reasoning. Neither one of them wanted to see their new sister die and couldn't bring themselves to leave and go back to watching Bella without knowing if Selene would survive. But Seth had told them that Jared had sent Jake to watch Bella. Jake was also concerned about Selene, but the thought of being near Bella was more tempting for him. Which was fine, Jared couldn't stand listening to Jake compare what happened to Selene to what might happen to Bella; it was making Jared and the rest of the pack sick.

As Emmett walked into the house, the vampires gathered around him and started bombarding him with questions. Mostly about how Selene was doing and how did the ocean help. Emmett finally got his family's attention, “Guys, I can't explain right now. I need to put Selene to bed. When she's recovered enough, I'm sure Selene will explain.”

“Emmett's right, Selene needs to recover. We can wait to find out what happened,” Carlisle said.

“Thank you, Carlisle.”

“In the meantime, I'm going to make dinner for everyone,” Esme said then turned to go into the kitchen, “Seth, would you like a snack?”

Seth looked between his sisters, and Leah nodded, “It's okay, Sethy, Selene's going to be just fine. Go get something to eat.”