Chapter 6 Imprinting Reaction

Selene and Sam take off running and continue their patrol. As they run, Sam glances at Selene, who keeps looking over her shoulder. He eventually comes to a stop and looks at Selene, *Explain, Selene, how did you meet the big vampire, Emmett?*

Well, she couldn't tell Sam the entire truth so, she skirted the truth a bit, *I needed some time to myself, so I went for a run and found a valley where I could come to terms with what happened.*

*On their side of the treaty line?*

*Um, yeah, I didn't know where the treaty line was and I wasn't thinking about it at the time. Anyway, I was lying in the grass when Emmett came out of the trees, and we talked a bit. Then I phased and left.*

Sam's eyes narrowed, *He seemed very surprised to see you.*

*I'm sure Emmett wasn't expecting to see me along the treaty line with you, Sam, that's all.*

Sam grudgingly accepted that answer. He then cocked his head to the side, *The blonde called you his mate. Which is strange considering that they're married.*

*What?!*

*Weren't you listening?*

*Oh, uh, no. I was too busy staring at the big guy.*

*Tell me, Sel, what do you feel when you look at him?*

Selene thought for a moment; she felt weird when she looked at Emmett. She felt a pull towards him that she had never felt before, and this need to protect him. At the same time, her training told Selene that she couldn't trust him entirely since he was some form of monster. Selene told Sam exactly how she felt but left out the part about being wary of him because he was a monster.

Sam sighed, *You imprinted on him, Selene.*

*You said that before, what is that?*

*When a shape-shifter imprints on a specific someone, he or she becomes unconditionally bound to that for the rest of their life. When it happens, the experience is described as being gravitationally pulled toward that person while a glowing heat fills him, and everyone and everything else in their life becomes secondary, and only the imprintee is left to matter, leaving the shape-shifter with a deep need to do anything to please and protect their soulmate.*

*And you think I imprinted on this Emmett guy?*

*Unfortunately, yes. We're going to have to make arrangements with their Coven leader, Carlisle, for you to go over and see him, Selene.*

*Why?*

*You can't be apart from your imprint for too long. It becomes excruciating for us.*

*I don't want to imprint on him!*

*It's not something that we choose, Sel. It's just happened.*

*Well, I refuse!*

Sam looked at Selene surprised, *You can't refuse this, Selene.*

*Oh, yeah? Watch me.*

*Look, I know what you're going through, I went through the same thing with Emily. I wanted to deny it first because I was with your sister, but in the end, the bond you feel for your mate is too strong. And from what I heard, not only is Emmett your imprint, you're his mate as well.*

*No, Sam, I can't accept this.*

*Why?*

*I just can't; it's not right for me to accept something like this. It shouldn't be happening to someone like me.*