1. Will it ever change?

In the heart of the bustling city, nestled among the tall buildings and urban landscape, stood the reception hall—an oasis of elegance and sophistication. Its grand entrance beckoned guests with an ornate wrought-iron gate adorned with delicate vines and blossoms, a preview of the beauty that lay beyond.

As one stepped through the gate, a pathway paved with cobblestones led the way to the entrance of the reception hall. The scent of blooming flowers wafted through the air, a gentle reminder of nature's grace even amid the urban sprawl.

The exterior of the hall was a masterpiece of architectural splendor, boasting a harmonious blend of classical design and modern sensibility. The foyer welcomed guests with a dazzling chandelier suspended from a soaring ceiling, casting a warm glow upon polished marble floors. The air was alive with a symphony of hushed conversations and the soft rustle of fine fabrics—the anticipation of a memorable event lingering in every corner.

Woman 1: "Mrs. Malhotra, how are your daughters doing in school?"

The woman wrapped in a beautiful silk saree said smiling at the lady standing in front of her with her elegant aura. Mrs. Malhotra looked at her daughter, standing beside her, proudly.

Mrs. Malhotra: "Pooja has topped her class again. She also won the inter-school singing and painting competition. I am so proud of my daughter."

Pooja looked down shyly and removed the locks of hair from her face, smiling as her mother bragged about her achievements. Another woman, listening to their conversation, checked out Pooja's stunning pink evening gown draped gently over her figure, accentuating her natural curves. Her choice of minimal makeup enhanced her already captivating features. She wore a pair of delicate stud earrings that twinkled under the chandelier light. A single elegant bracelet adorned her wrist, adding a touch of sparkle that caught every eye. Her beautiful neckline was adorned with a simple charm necklace that complemented the overall look without overshadowing her attire.

Woman 2: "Well, Pooja, you're looking so pretty in this gown."

Pooja's mother gave a small laugh and draped her hand over her daughter's shoulder.

Mrs. Malhotra: "Obviously, Pooja is so beautiful that every dress looks good on her."

The other two women exchanged glances among themselves.

Woman 1: "Mrs. Malhotra, you're so lucky to have a daughter like Pooja. But, Sanjana..."

She trailed off when she looked at the other girl standing behind her mother, wearing a black turtle neck and black jeans, her shoulder-length hair tied up in a ponytail. She was looking down and playing with her fingers but looked up when she heard her name.

Woman2: (smiling) "What about you, Sanjana? How much did you score this time?"

Sanjana, caught off-guard, gave a fake laugh and started speaking.

Sanjana: "Actually, I- "

But her mother cut her off mid-sentence, trying to divert the conversation.

Mom: "She also did well."

She turned towards Sanjana with a smile.

Mom: "Sanjana, why don't you get something to eat? You didn't have lunch today. You must be hungry, right?"

Sanjana understood her mother's cue for her to leave from there. Sanjana gave a small smile and excused herself from there.

She came out into the garden, where the buffet was organized. She took a plate and eyed the dishes kept on the long tables, confused about which one to take.

When she was choosing the food, a boy wearing a tuxedo came to her.

He cleared his throat to get Sanjana's attention. Sanjana turned to him and checked him out.

Sanjana: (politely) "Yes, how can I help you?"

Boy: (smiling) "You don't have to be so formal with me. We are of the same age."

Sanjana gave him a confused look and turned her attention back to the food.

The boy cleared his throat again and fixed his tuxedo.

Boy: "So, did you come alone or- "

Sanjana: "I came with my family."

She turned towards him.

Boy: "Oh! Where are they?"

Sanjana: "My mother and sister are inside the hall and my father must be drinking with his friends."

Boy: "Oh, you have a sister too?"

Sanjana nodded and looked in the direction of her sister.

Boy: "Are you both in the same class?"

Sanjana gave out a frustrated sigh and turned towards him.

Sanjana: "Listen, dude, if you want my sister's number, ask her directly! Stop using me to get to her!"

Sanjana kept the plate away and went inside the hall to look for her father. She wanted to get away from there as soon as possible. All the boys were the same. They first talked to her and then asked about Pooja. She hated it the most. She knew Pooja was good at everything; she was intelligent, topper of the class, and the prettiest girl in the school. Everybody loved her. On the contrary, Sanjana was an average girl, both in studies and looks. Instead of compliments she always heard about how Pooja was better than her and that she should be like her.

Finally, she noticed her father talking to his friends.

She walked to him.

Sanjana: "Dad, I'm going home. I don't feel good."

Dad: (turning towards her) "Okay, you can go home. But have you seen Pooja? I want to introduce her to my friends."

Sanjana felt hurt, but she tried not to show it on her face.

Sanjana: (faking a smile) "Yes, Dad, they are over there."

Sanjana pointed towards the place where her mother and Pooja were standing.

After coming out of the reception hall, Sanjana got into their family car and told the driver to take her home.

Throughout the ride, she stared out the window.

'It's okay, Sanjana, it isn't the first time you experienced this.'

She remembered how everyone was admiring Pooja.

'She is so beautiful. She is good at studies, singing, and painting. She has a good figure and a perfect face. Everything is perfect about her. Why won't they admire her? As for me, everything seems imperfect. There's nothing in me to be admired by someone.'

Sanjana looked down at her lap. She closed her eyes as they stung from holding back her tears.

Giving out a deep sigh, she looked outside the window again.

'It's okay, Sanjana. Everything takes time. You will find someone who will love you for who you are. Just wait for that person to come into your life.'She wiped away the few drops of tears that spilled from her eyes.