11. Meeting Expectations

The final exams were just around the corner. Sanjana, though not a bright student, decided to give her best.

'I know I can never be like Pooja but I'll try.'

One day, Sanjana was studying when her father entered her room.

Sanjana: (confused) "Dad? Do you need something?"

Dad: (sitting on the bed) "How is the preparation going?"

Sanjana stared at him for a few seconds, trying to figure out what he meant. Her father always had a serious face or rather an expressionless face while talking to her. So, it was difficult for her to try to figure out his mood. But it was just the opposite case for Pooja. He always gave her a proud and affectionate smile. Sanjana used to long for that smile but never saw it on his face for her.

Sanjana: (understanding his words) "Oh, you mean studies? Yes, I'm doing my best."

Dad: (nodding) "Good! If you have any problem understanding anything, just ask Pooja."

Sanjana: (low voice) "Pooja?"

Sanjana looked down.

Dad: "Yes. She is so good at studies. I'm sure whatever question you will ask her, she will answer it immediately. You can even ask her for suggestions."

Sanjana nodded, looking down.

Dad: (getting up) "Iwant you to scoregood marks like Pooja. So, work hard!"

Sanjana: (biting her lower lip) "Yes, Dad!"

Sanjana's father went to the door. Before he went out, he whispered something under his breath but Sanjana heard him.

Dad: (sighing) "Ihope she doesn't disappoint us this time."

After he closed the door, Sanjana looked at it, tears brimming in her eyes.

Sanjana wiped her tears and shook her head.

Sanjana: "No...no...Sanjana...don't cry over these small things...just do your best!"

The day their exams ended; Sanjana's family went out for dinner.

Mom: (feeding Pooja) "Oh, my daughter has worked so hard! Eat a lot, okay?"

Pooja gave her a wide smile.

Dad: (smiling) "How did the exams go? Will you top in the class again?"

Before Pooja could say something, her mother exclaimed excitedly.

Mom: "Obviously! She is our daughter! She is the best student in this world!"

Sanjana just remained silent, looking at her plate, and playing with her food with the fork.

Dad: (looking down at his plate) "Sanjana, how was your exam?"

'Why does he always turn so cold while talking to me?'

Sanjana: (giving him a warm smile) "It was good. I tried my best..."

Dad: (interrupting her) "Hope your 'good' is really good."

Sanjana bit her lip and looked down, disappointed.

1 month later...

Sanjana was running down the corridor of her school, with a smile on her face; her heart pounding in nervousness. She reached near the notice board where many other students had gathered.

Sanjana took several deep breaths before pushing through the crowd to get a closer view of the results. She stood in front of the long papers, containing the list of names, stuck on the board.

She bit her lower lip and her hands felt sweaty.

'It'll be good. You worked hard.'

Sanjana traveled her forefinger across the papers to find her name.

Her finger stopped.

'There it is!'

Sanjana felt her throat getting dried up. She slid her finger to the right...

Sanjana: (exclaimed) "82%!"

Her voice was audible only to her.

Her finger did not move from the paper. Conflicting thoughts crossed her mind.

'82%? It's good, right? Yes, of course it's good! I studied hard, and obviously, I did well. But...will Dad be happy? He will be, right?'

Sanjana's finger started traveling again.

Sanjana: (her finger stopped) "98%..."

'She scored 98%...she stood first in our class and third in the whole school...'

Sanjana's eyes fell on the name above Pooja.

'Wow! Karan stood second in the whole school!'

Then she noticed something – the distance between Karan and her name. She was not even in the top 50 in the whole school. The sudden feeling of insecurity took over her. She sighed and lowered her head and silently came out of the crowd.

Sanjana turned around and looked at the papers again. A weak smile formed on her lips.

'I guess I've to walk a lot before I reach you.'