35. To Mumbai

After a few days...

Sanjana was sitting on Sooraj's bed.

Sanjana: (biting her lips) "So, you're going to Mumbai?"

Sanjana's tone seemed sad.

Sooraj: (looked at Sanjana and smiled to himself) "Why? You don't want me to go?"

Sanjana: (surprised) "Huh? I didn't say that!"

Sooraj: (giving a small laugh) "So you want me to go?"

Sanjana: (looking down) "I-I..."

Sooraj laughed and looked outside the window.

Sanjana: (playing with her fingers) "You can do whatever you want. It's your life. If you want to go to Mumbai, I will never stop you."

Sanjana kept looking down.

Sooraj came to sit in front of her and took her hands. Sanjana looked up at him.

Sooraj: (gentle smile) "What about you? Will you be okay by yourself?"

Sanjana looked down and sighed.

Sanjana: "I can't depend on you forever, right? I need to start doing everything on my own; getting up on my own whenever I fall. You have done a lot for me. Now I need to trust myself and move forward. I can't keep walking holding your hand for support forever. I must learn to walk on my own. I want to give myself the time that I need. I want to learn to love the little things about myself."

Sooraj gave a small laugh and patted her head.

Sooraj: "Wow! Our Sanjana has grown up."

Sanjana: (pouting) "Hey! I'm not a kid!"

Both started laughing.

Sooraj: (rubbing the back of her hand with his thumb) "Sanjana, always remember that you are not alone. I will let you learn to walk on your own but I will always be behind you. You can always lean on me whenever you want. Loving yourself is harder than loving someone else. Remember that. You can always come to me whenever things get hard. You know that, right?"

Sanjana smiled and nodded her head. Sooraj returned her smile.

After one week...

The graduation ceremony was held.

Sanjana and Sooraj were sitting on the terrace of the school building.

Sanjana: (sipping her juice) "When are you going?"

Sooraj: (keeping his juice aside and stretching his arms) "Tomorrow. I will be staying there for a few days. Uncle and Aunty are also coming, so I will be staying in their house."

Sanjana: (looking down at her lap) "Hmm, I see."

Sooraj: (looked at her through the corner of his eyes and smiled) "If you want, you can come with me."

Sanjana turned her head toward him, surprised.

Sooraj: (continuing) "They wanted to meet you, anyways."

Sanjana: (looking ahead) "Well, I want to see your college, though."

Sooraj: (turning his head towards her) "Then, come with me."

Sanjana smiled and nodded her head.

The next day, Sanjana and Sooraj met at the airport.