30. Hardwork Never Betrays You

After his exam, Sooraj came out of the examination center and his lips curved up in a warm smile.

Sooraj: (to the person approaching him) "You didn't have to come to see me like this?"

Sanjana: (blushing) "I wasn't planning to but..."

Sooraj: (teasing tone) "Did you miss me that much?"

Sanjana: (turned around, hiding her red face) "I-it isn't like that at all!"

Sooraj gave out a small laugh.

Sanjana: "I was just thinking about treating you to a good meal after your exam."

Sooraj: "You should wait till the final exam for that."

Sanjana: (started walking) "We'll think about that later. I'm starving now."

A few days after Sooraj's exams, both Sanjana and Sooraj were in the latter's room.

Sanjana: (stretching out her legs on the bed) "So, which college are you aiming for?"

Sooraj: (thinking) "I want to go to the college in Mumbai."

Sanjana was surprised to hear that. She looked down at her lap sadly.

Sanjana: (biting her lower lip) "Will you go back to Mumbai?"

Sooraj: (laughing) "Nothing can be said just now. It's really hard to get admission there."

Sanjana: "You're so good at studies, obviously you'll get admission."

Sooraj: "I'm not thinking about that now. We'll get our final results this Sunday. My mind is occupied with that."

Sanjana sighed and hugged the pillow beside her.

Sooraj: "Nervous?"

Sanjana: "I'm nervous as hell."

Sooraj: "Don't worry too much. You worked hard. Everything will be alright. I believe in you."

Sanjana gave a small smile at him.

For the next few days, Sanjana kept thinking about her results.

Finally, the big day arrived. Sooraj and Sanjana were in Sooraj's room in front of the computer.

Sooraj: "We need to log in with our roll number."

Sanjana: (nervous) "Y-you check yours first. I'll check mine afterward."

Sooraj: (patting her shoulder) "Don't be so tensed."

Sooraj logged in to his result page. All the numbers were above 90.

Sooraj: "I got just 92 in English."

Sanjana: (slapping his arm) "Just 92? It's such a great number! Let me check your total percentage."

Before Sanjana could open the calculator in her phone, Sooraj exclaimed.

Sooraj: "It's coming 98%."

Sanjana opened the calculator and calculated it anyway.

Sanjana: "Wow! Is this the highest?"

Sooraj: "My English marks were the lowest."

Sanjana: (looking at the screen) "100 in Maths??? Ah! I'm doomed! I don't want to see my results anymore."

Sooraj: (hugging her from the side) "Don't worry too much about it. Just check it. I'm sure you scored well."

Sanjana took a deep breath and sat in front of the computer.