9. Talk It Out

Standing outside the club, Karan called Rahul.

On call~

Rahul: (worried) "Hey man, where are you? And where's Sanjana?"

Karan: (glancing at Sanjana) "Sanjana's not feeling well, so I'm taking her home."

Rahul: (concerned) "What happened to her?"

Karan: "Don't worry, I'll take care of her. Enjoy the rest of the night."

Karan hung up and looked at Sanjana. Sanjana was standing beside him, looking down, holding the jacket close to her body.

Karan: (worried) "Shall we go home?"

Sanjana: (without looking at him) "I need some fresh air."

Karan: "Okay, there's a park nearby, let's go there."

Sanjana and Karan were walking along a pond in the park side by side. The park was empty, only the streetlights were glowing along the side of the path. Both were silent. Karan took occasional glances at Sanjana to make sure she was alright.

A light breeze was blowing. Sanjana was feeling better now.

Suddenly, Karan stopped walking. Sanjana stopped in her tracks feeling the absence of Karan beside her and turned around to him.

Karan: (serious) "Sanjana, we need to talk."

Sanjana: (confused) "Talk? About what?"

Karan: "About what happened in the morning."

Sanjana looked down and bit her lower lip.

Sanjana: (not knowing how to say) "Karan that- "

Karan walked to her and took her hands. Sanjana was surprised. She looked up to meet his sincere eyes.

Karan: "I'm not mad at you."

Sanjana remained silent and kept looking into his eyes.

Karan: "You have every right to ask that question. But..."

Karan sighed and looked down.

Sanjana: (desperate to know) "But what Karan?"

Karan: (looking up into her eyes) "I'm sorry Sanjana. I myself don't know the answer to that question. The only thing I know is...that I like spending time with you. I don't care what others think about us or what they name this relationship. ."

Sanjana broke down into a smile. Her heart was beating fast.

Karan: (looking at their joined hands) "And the reason, I told you to forget about what happened in the classroom was because I was confused. I didn't know what got into me at that time. I wanted to hug you and I just did it without thinking. I didn't know about your thoughts so I just thought maybe forgetting it would be the best decision."

Sanjana: (smiling and shaking her head) "No, I don't want to forget about it. To be honest, I liked it. The hug felt warm and safe."

Sanjana blushed and looked down. Karan broke down into a smile upon hearing those words.

Karan: (staring deeply into her eyes) "So, are you willing to stay with me?"

Sanjana: (giving a warm smile) "I'll be more than happy to be with you. Don't worry I'll never question our relationship again. I just got carried away with my mix of emotions and also what others were talking about us. I'm sorry."

Karan: (smiling) "No, it's okay. I understand."

Sanjana wrapped her hands around his waist and buried her face in his chest. Karan hugged her back and kissed the top of her head.

'I love him. I love him so much. I want us to stay like this forever.'

Karan was standing in the school courtyard the next day and talking with his friends.

Suddenly, he felt two hands snaking around his waist and then someone back hugged him. Karan gave a wide smile seeing those small hands around his waist. Karan held those small hands and unclasping them, turned around to see Sanjana with the biggest smile ever on her face.

Karan: (pulling her closer) "Trying to scare me?"

Sanjana: (giggling) "Nope."

Karan hugged Sanjana, placing a small peck on her head, forgetting about the place they were in, and his friends who exchanged surprised and confused looks with each other.

Rahul: (surprised) "Am I missing something? Weren't you two fighting yesterday?"

Sanjana: (pulling away from the hug) "Everything is back to normal between us now."

Suresh: (scoffing) "That was fast."

Rahul came closer to Sanjana and placed a hand on his chest.

Rahul: (faking a hurt expression) "Sanjana, how can you cheat on me like this? We were so perfect together."

But Sanjana thought he was being serious.

Sanjana: (worried) "R-Rahul, I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean to hurt you-"

Karan: (laughing) "Sanjana, you believed him?"

Sanjana's eyebrows crashed together in confusion.

Karan: "He is just joking."

Sanjana looked at Rahul and found him laughing, holding his stomach.

Rahul: "Sanjana, I can't believe you took it seriously. You looked so cute."

Rahul pinched Sanjana's cheeks. Sanjana pouted.

Rahul: "Aww, are you mad?"

Sanjana crossed her arms and looked away, pouting.

Karan: (smirking) "Now, she is not going to talk to you anymore Rahul."

Rahul: (holding his ears, with a puppy face) "I'm sorry~"

Sanjana held back a smile seeing him like that.

Sanjana: "Okay, I'll forgive you this time."

Rahul: "Yes, that's my girl."

Rahul was about to hug her but Karan pulled Sanjana away from him.

Rahul: (smirking) "Oh~ Jealous~"

Karan pulled Sanjana close and looked away to hide the blush on his cheeks.

Karan: (shrugging his shoulders) "Whatever..."

Sanjana smiled noticing the light blush on Karan's cheeks.

'This is it. I don't want anything. A person who cares for you and promises to always protect you. Friends who make you laugh and love to spend time with you. This is the happiness I wanted. This is the life I wanted. Nothing else matters now.'

Sanjana looked at Rahul and Suresh who were teasing Karan and then at Karan who was still looking away trying to hold back his smile. The huge smile on her face was not enough to describe the amount of happiness she was feeling inside.