31. Heart's Desire

Later in the evening, Sanjana was in her room when her father called her in the living room.

Sanjana: (sitting on the sofa) "Dad, you called me?"

Dad: (smiling) "Yes."

Sanjana: (curious) "What is it?"

Dad: "Have you decided on what you want to study?"

Sanjana: (shaking her head) "Not yet, Dad. I'm still thinking about it."

Dad: "Then, how about you try for engineering next year? Study hard this whole year and then give it a shot next year. How is it?"

Sanjana: (sighing) "Dad, I told you that I'm not interested in engineering. It's not for me. I'm not going to waste a year like that."

Dad: (sighing in frustration) "How can you say that without even trying? Engineering is a great career option. Pooja and all your friends are applying for it. If they can do it, then why can't you?"

Sanjana: "Dad, please understand, that not everyone can do everything. I don't want to do something that I don't like."

Dad: (irritated) "You're the one who's not understanding! It's not about what you like, it's about your future! If you study engineering, you'll get a great job with a high paid salary. Why don't you want to understand?"

Sanjana: "But I won't like that job. I want to do something that I like."

Dad: "You'll have to force yourself to like that job because it will give you a better future."

Sanjana: "No, I don't want to force myself to do something that I don't like."

Dad: (standing up, shouting) "Sanjana! When did you become so disobedient? You're continuously arguing with me! Why won't you listen to me? I'm telling this for your good."

Sanjana: (standing up) "I didn't want to argue but you're not considering MY likes and dislikes. You're only dumping YOUR opinions on me."

Dad: "Then tell me what are your opinions? What do you want to do with your life?"

Sanjana: "I'm still thinking about it."

Dad: (angry) "What do you mean you're still thinking about it? Are you planning to go to college or not? Neither you're listening to me nor you're deciding for yourself! What are you planning to do with your life? When are you going to seriously think about your future? I'm so done with you, Sanjana!"

Sanjana bit her lip and looked down.

Dad: (sighing in frustration) "Do whatever you like! It was wrong of me to expect anything from you."

Sanjana felt saddened by his words.

She walked out of her house trying to hold back her tears.

Sooraj was in his room when someone knocked on his door.

Opening the door, he saw the butler.

Butler: "Sir, your friend, Sanjana is at the door."

Sooraj: (surprised) "Sanjana?"

Sooraj looked at the time and it was almost 10 pm.

He hurried to the door and saw Sanjana standing, facing the other side.

Sooraj: "Sanjana? It's so late. Why-"

Before he could finish his sentence, Sanjana hugged him tightly, burying her face in his chest.