10. Pounding Hearts

Pooja was sitting at her desk with Neena, glaring at Sanjana who was giggling with Karan in her seat.

Neena: (sighing) "It's obvious Karan likes her."

Pooja glared at her.

Neena: "What? Didn't you see them hugging each other and being all lovey-dovey in the courtyard?"

Pooja scoffed in disgust and looked back at Sanjana.

Pooja: (angry) "What does she think of herself? Karan definitely doesn't like her!"

Neena: "You should do something instead of sitting here and being jealous."

Pooja: (thumping on the desk) "I will. She would pay for this."

Sanjana was trying to study and Karan was constantly flipping over the book, not letting her study.

Sanjana: (giggling) "What are you doing? I have to study."

Karan: (keeping away the book and holding her hand) "You can study afterward. Spend some time with me."

Sanjana gave up and looked at him.

Sanjana: (smiling) "Okay, what do you want to do?"

Karan: (tilting his head) "Look into your eyes."

Sanjana looked down, hiding the blush that crept upon her cheeks.

Karan chuckled seeing her red face.

After school, Sanjana and Karan went to the library to study.

They were sitting across each other, books and notebooks opened in front of them. Karan was immersed in his work. However, Sanjana was taking occasional glances at Karan from behind her book, which she held in front of her face.

'He is such a sweet distraction. How can I concentrate?'

'Okay one last look and then I will study with full concentration.'

Sanjana peeked from above her book only to meet Karan's eyes who were looking straight at her. He arched his eyebrow and smirked. Sanjana immediately kept the book down, straightened her position on the chair, and clearing her throat started studying.

Karan chuckled at her reaction and went back to studying.

Sanjana, taking a short glance at him, slapped herself mentally.

It was past 7 p.m. when Karan and Sanjana reached the latter's home.

Sanjana: (smiling widely) "I had a great time today. Thank you."

Karan: (returning her smile) "No problem."

Sanjana: (looking down) "Well then, meet you tomorrow."

Karan nodded and looked at her house.

Karan: (furrowing his eyebrows) "Isn't anyone home today?"

Sanjana got confused by his question so she turned towards her house. Unlike other days, none of the lights were on.

Sanjana looked at other houses to check whether there was a power cut. But there were lights in the rest of the houses.

Sanjana: (walking towards the door) "This is weird. Everyone should be home."

Sanjana turned the door knob but it was locked. Karan had followed her and stood behind her.

Karan: "Is the door locked?"

Sanjana nodded and took out the spare keys from her backpack.

She opened the door and met with the dark and silent house. Sanjana switched on the lights of the living room.