22. Breaking Down

Sooraj: "You should come out of your imagination. It's not a good place to live in. If you think you can get any boy with your face and body, then you're so wrong! I'm sorry but I'm not Karan Agnihotri."

Both Sanjana and Pooja's eyes widened upon hearing that name. Sooraj continued in the same cold tone.

Sooraj: "Your charms might have worked on him but they won't work on me at all."

Sooraj moved away from her and walked away from there, with Sanjana.

After they went away, Pooja scoffed and turned back in their direction.

Pooja: "Seriously, who the hell are you?"

When they reached an empty staircase, Sanjana stopped in her tracks. Sooraj stopped walking and turned back to her.

Sanjana: (pulling her hand back) "Who are you? And how do you know Karan?"

Sooraj sighed and looked straight into her eyes.

Sooraj: (in a monotonous voice) "B.H. Central Academy. Class 10-A. Captain of the School Basketball team."

Sanjana: (widened eyes) "I-it's Karan's class...h-how do you know all these?"

Sooraj: "I was in the same class and also his teammate."

Sanjana was shocked to hear that.

Sanjana: "Y-you studied in the same school as me?"

Sooraj nodded.

Sanjana: "But I never saw you with K-Karan..."

Her heart ached every time she pronounced that name.

Sooraj: "I was not his friend just his classmate."

Sanjana: "Then how do you know about me?"

Sooraj: "I've known you for a long time."

Sanjana squinted her eyebrows.

Sooraj: "I don't know whether you remember that night. It was a winter night. You went to a wedding reception with your family. You were wearing a black turtleneck. A boy approached you and asked you about your sister. You got upset with his words and went away from there."

Sanjana remembered the night like it was just yesterday.

Sooraj: "You remember the night?"

Sanjana looked back at him and gave a small nod.

Sooraj: "That night was the first time I saw you. The boy with whom you talked was my friend. You looked sad when I saw you. Even though you were smiling, it never reached your eyes."

Sanjana looked down and a small sad smile crept on her lips realising that there was someone who was able to see through her.

Sooraj: (continuing) "The next day, I saw you at the basketball court. You got hurt by the ball and Karan helped you."

Sanjana looked down remembering the moment. How she wished that never happened. How she wished to have never crossed paths with him.

Sooraj: (sighing) "I know it will hurt you but I must say this. The ball that hit you, was thrown by Karan himself."

Sanjana was shocked but not surprised.

Sanjana: (giving out a sad chuckle) "Why am I not surprised? I should've known it from the beginning. Everything was his plan. Everything from the start. Don't worry, it won't hurt me anymore. I've gotten used to it."