27. Emotions and Feelings

It was the day of the declaration of the results of mid-term exams.

Sanjana was standing in front of the noticeboard, checking her marks. Her heart was beating fast, and her palms were sweating from nervousness.

Her finger stopped on the white paper on her name, and she dragged it right to find her marks.

Her breath hitched in her throat.

'73%!'

Her hands fell loose beside her.

'Obviously, I knew it. I can never do it. How can I score better than Pooja? She has always been a topper, and I'll always be a failure.'

While coming out of the crowd, she bumped into Pooja, who had a victorious smile on her face.

Pooja: (taking a glance at the notice board) "Well, Sanjana, did you check your marks? How were they? Were you able to score higher than me?"

Pooja looked at her with a mocking smile. Sanjana looked down and bit her lower lip.

Pooja: (folding her arms) "Did you think you'd be able to score better than me? That Sooraj can bring you to the top? Stop dreaming Sanjana! You'll never be able to do it! You'll always be a failure!"

The words pierced her heart like sharp arrows, and her eyes teared up.

Pooja: (scoffing) "Did you notice something? Because of you, Sooraj's marks also deteriorated."

Sanjana looked up at her in shock.

Pooja: (smirked) "He would've stood first in the whole school, but he came fourth. Wasn't it because he was helping you? Wasn't it because of you that he couldn't give himself much time to prepare? You're responsible for this, you know that right?"

Sanjana felt uneasy hearing those words.

'Yes, it's because of me. I created problems for Sooraj, too. He would've stood first if I was not there. It's really because of me. He believed in me, and I disappointed him. I can't do anything.'

Pooja: "Like I said before, you're always a burden in everyone's lives. You're just good for nothing."

Pooja walked away from there, bumping her shoulder with Sanjana, making her stumble back.

'I was a burden to Sooraj. I shouldn't have asked him for help. It was all my fault.'

She was about to go find Sooraj when she realized that Sooraj had not come to school today as his uncle and aunt had come to meet him.

Sanjana pulled out her phone to call Sooraj but stopped before hitting the call button.

'No, I can't. I can't depend on him anymore. I should stop being a burden to him.'

Sanjana started walking down the corridor. Soon, she was out of the school gates. Guilt enveloped her mind and heart, and tears started falling down her eyes as she walked along the road.

After a few minutes, her legs stopped, and she looked up to see the same construction building where she met Sooraj for the first time. Without thinking anything, she went inside. She found herself in the same spot, standing at the edge of the terrace.

But she could not bring herself to take a step further. She sat down on the ground, breaking down into loud sobs.

'Now, I can't even bring myself to give up on my life. How did I become so weak? What's happening to me? My mind and my emotions are a mess. What am I doing to myself?'

Then she heard her phone ringing in her pocket. She brought it out and saw Sooraj calling her.

She swiped the phone screen and put it on her ear.