20. Leave Me Alone

Sanjana tried to focus on the lesson but each time her mind went towards the strange guy sitting beside him.

Teacher: (looking around the class) "Who will give the answer to this problem? Sanjana?"

Sanjana turned her head towards the teacher, hearing her name.

Sanjana: (standing up) "Y-yes m-ma'am..."

Teacher: (showing the problem on the board) What will be the answer to this problem?

Sanjana gulped down a lump in her throat.

She felt a tap on her palm that was resting on the table. She looked down to see Sooraj's hand pointing towards his notebook, which had the solution in neat handwriting, and the answer was circled.

Sanjana looked at Sooraj, confused.

Sooraj sighed and wrote in the notebook.

"Just say this answer! Quickly!!"

Teacher: "What is it? You didn't solve the problem?"

Sanjana: (looking up) "No ma'am. I know. The answer is 7."

Teacher: "Good. Sit down! Let's move on to the next problem."

Sanjana sat down and looked at Sooraj. He gave her a small smile but his dimples showed up.

'Who is he?'

Pooja was looking at them with her knitted eyebrows.

'Does he know Sanjana?' She thought.

The bell for lunchtime rang and the teacher, packing her books, went out of the class. The students started walking out of the class.

Sooraj: "Are you going to the cafeteria?"

Sanjana: "Huh? No, I've to go somewhere."

Sooraj: "Where?"

Sanjana: "Just somewhere."

Sanjana took out her lunchbox and went out of the class. Sooraj stared at her retreating back.

Some girls approached him.

Girl1: (chirpy voice) "Hey, Sooraj!"

Sooraj turned his head towards them.

Sooraj: (smiling brightly) "Oh hey!"

Girl2: "Wanna have lunch with us?"

He took a glance at the door from which Sanjana exited the classroom.

Sooraj: "Okay!"

Sitting on the pavement on the terrace, leaning against the wall, Sanjana looked up at the sky and sighed.

'The sky is so blue today. It's looking beautiful, unlike my life.'

She looked down at her untouched lunch.

Closing the lid, she stood up.

'Don't feel like eating today too.'

She came back to the class and found the seat beside her empty.

'How can people make friends so easily? Why no one wants to be my friend?'

Sanjana sighed and went back to her seat. She put her lunchbox inside her bag when someone kept two notebooks on her desk. She looked up to see Kaira standing with her arms folded across her chest.

Kaira: "My hand's aching so I can't write the notes the teacher gave today. Copy it down for me from this notebook."

Sanjana: "I'm sorry but I- "