4. Friends?

The next day, during the break, Sanjana was walking down the corridor when she suddenly bumped into Karan.

Karan: (recognizing her) "Oh! Aren't you the strong girl from yesterday?"

Sanjana blushed because Karan remembered her.

Sanjana: (shyly) "Yes, Hi Karan!"

Karan: (smiling) "Hi! How is your head?"

Sanjana: "I'm absolutely fine. You don't have to worry about me."

Karan: "Really? I was worried about you, though."

'Worried? About me?'

Sanjana gave a shy smile.

Karan: "We met yesterday, but I don't know your name."

Sanjana: (getting a little excited) "Sanjana!"

Karan: (extending his hand) "Hello, Sanjana! I am Karan!"

Sanjana: (shaking hands) "I know your name. School's heartthrob!"

Karan gave out a chuckle.

Karan: (embarrassed) "That's just a name the students gave me."

Sanjana: "It suits you."

Karan: "You think so?"

Sanjana nodded.

Karan: (scratching the back of his neck) "Then, will you go out for coffee after school with this heartthrob?"

Sanjana's eyes widened upon hearing that. Her cheeks were turning red and her heart was beating fast.

Sanjana: (nervous) "Uh- "

Karan: "Did I make you nervous? Don't worry it's just a cup of coffee, nothing more."

Sanjana: (looking down) "Okay then."

Karan: (smiling) "Perfect! I will wait for you outside the school gate."

Karan ruffled her hair and went away from there.

Sanjana stood there blushing.

During the rest of the classes, she made her own assumptions about the coffee date with Karan. It was Sanjana's first time going out with someone.

She smiled at her own thoughts.

When the last bell rang, Sanjana packed her bag quickly and rushed out of the class not wanting to make Karan wait for her.

Pooja saw Sanjana running out of the class but did not bother her about it.

Sanjana came out of the school gate to see Karan waiting for her. She came near him. Karan smiled seeing her.

Sanjana: (looking down) "I'm sorry to keep you waiting."

Karan: (shaking her head) "No, you didn't make me wait. I came here just now."

Sanjana just nodded shyly.

Karan: "So, let's go."

Karan took Sanjana to a café which was just opposite their school. The bell chimed as they opened the door. The café was nearly empty.

Karan: (sighing) "I guess we came early."

Karan pulled the chair for Sanjana and she took a seat.

'He is such a gentleman.' Sanjana thought and blushed hard.

The waiter came to their table to take their order.

Karan: (looking at Sanjana) "What will you have?"

Sanjana: (thinking) "I think I will have Cappuccino."

Karan: (looking at the waiter) "Okay then, two Cappuccinos, please."

Waiter: (noting down) "Okay, Sir. Just wait for two minutes."

After the waiter went away from there, Sanjana looked at Karan only to find him looking at her. She looked down, blushing.

Karan smiled at her.

The doorbell chimed and Sanjana saw some students from their school entering. After a few moments, the café was fully packed.

Sanjana: "The café is famous, I guess."

Karan: (taking a sip of his coffee) "It's just opposite to our school so the students always come here. You didn't come here before?"

Sanjana: (looking down, embarrassed) "No, I don't have many friends with whom I can hang out."

Karan: (smiling)"Don't worry, I can be your friend. We can hang out together more often."

Sanjana looked at him, shocked.

Sanjana: (smiling) "Thank you."

Karan returned her smile.

Sanjana was looking around the café and saw some students looking at her and whispering among themselves. Sanjana understood the matter and looked at Karan sadly and then at her lap.

Sanjana: (looking down) "Karan, I'm sorry."

Karan looked up from his phone, confused.

Karan: "Sorry? Why?"

Sanjana: (biting her lower lip) "I think we shouldn't meet like this. It will ruin your reputation if others see you with me."

Karan looked around and realized what Sanjana was saying.

Karan gave a small laugh.

Sanjana looked at him.

Karan: "Why are you thinking like that? Don't look at them. Let's talk about ourselves. Let's get to know each other more."

Sanjana was feeling so happy. She felt this happiness after so long.

Sanjana told Karan about her family but she did not tell him the status of their relationship. They discussed their childhood days and much more.

At night, Sanjana was lying on her bed looking at her phone. She was confused about whether to text Karan or not.

Sanjana: (biting her lips) "Should I? But what if he thinks I am desperate? Ugh!!"

Sanjana kept her phone beside her and turned around, closing her eyes.

Her phone beeped. She opened it to see a text from Karan. She sat up immediately.

Karan: (text) "Today was fun. See you tomorrow. Good night."

Sanjana's eyes widened seeing that text. She felt her heart racing and a huge smile crept upon her lips in excitement.

Sanjana: (taking deep breaths) "Okay, Sanjana, you must reply something good."

Sanjana: (text) "I enjoyed myself too. Thank you for the coffee. See you tomorrow. Good night."

Sanjana: (thinking) "Should I put a heart? No, normal is good."

Send.

She kept the phone on the bedside table and laid down smiling and blushing.

'I never thought I would meet someone like Karan. I don't feel lonely anymore.'

She turned around, pulled the blankets closerto her, and closed her eyes.