16. Broken Self

The smell of medicine wafted near her nose. Sanjana fluttered her eyelids to adjust to the sudden bright light. She looked around to find an unfamiliar white room.

??: "Oh! you're awake?"

Sanjana turned to the female voice and saw a nurse walking to her with some clothes in her hand.

Sanjana tried to get up but she felt drained out of all strength. An IV tube was attached to her hand.

Nurse: (sitting on the stool beside her bed) "Don't get up. You still need rest."

Sanjana: (propping against the wall behind her) "W-what happened to me? W-why am I here?"

Nurse: "You collapsed due to a high fever. Your sugar level was also low. Why were you wearing wet clothes? Your hand and lips were injured. Even your clothes were dirty. Did...someone bully you?"

Sanjana: (looking down and shaking her head) "No...I fell in the storeroom and got drenched in the rain."

The nurse did not buy that but refrained from asking any further questions.

Nurse: (smiling) "Well, it's good that the boy carried you here immediately."

Sanjana's eyes widened.

Sanjana: (looking at the nurse) "Boy? Which boy?"

Nurse: (trying to remember) "A tall boy wearing a basketball jersey. He looked so worried about you. He must be your boyfriend."

'Tall...wearing a jersey...Karan?'

Sanjana detached the IV from her hand and immediately got up from the bed.

Nurse: (shocked) "Where are you going? You need more rest."

Sanjana: (wearing her shoes) "I need to see him right now."

Sanjana dashed out of the room to find Karan.

She walked through the corridors looking here and there. She turned towards the staircase and saw Karan climbing up the stairs with Pooja. She ran to him.

Sanjana: (grabbing his arm) "Karan?"

Karan turned around and looked at Sanjana, confused.

Karan: (irritated) "What do you need now?"

Sanjana: (smiling) "It was you, right? It was you who carried me to the nurse's office."

Karan: (jerking her hand away) "What rubbish are you talking, Sanjana?"

Sanjana's smile vanished.

Sanjana: (shaky voice) "I fell unconscious on the terrace. You carried me to the nurse's office. It was you."

Karan: (giving out an irritated sigh) "Sanjana, you seriously have some problem in your head. Stop creating these fake scenarios! Why would I do something like that? I don't give a damn about you. I was with Pooja throughout the day. Stay away from me!"

Karan turned around and walked upstairs.

Pooja: (smirking at her) "Stop getting close to him! You're no one to him now. Loser!"

Pooja ran upstairs behind Karan.

Sanjana felt weak all over again so she grabbed the railing for support.

"Sanjana, you seriously have some problem in your head."

"I don't give a damn about you."

"Stay away from me!"

Those harsh words from Karan kept coming back to her. Tears filled her eyes as she sat down on the staircase.

Sanjana: (through her tears) "I...hate you...I hate you, Karan...And...I...I hate myself...I hate myself for loving you so much...I hate myself for believing your every lie...I hate myself for giving you my heart for you to break it into millions of pieces...I hate myself so much..."

Her sobs filled the silent staircase.

One month passed away. In this one month, Sanjana did not talk to anyone. She barely came out of her room. Each night, she cried herself to sleep. Many times, she hurt herself by cutting her hand to feel the pain in her heart physically. Her left hand was full of scratches. Rahul and Suresh tried to contact her but she distanced herself from everyone. She had been hurt before but this time, the pain was unbearable.

One day, Sanjana's father broke the news to the family.

Pooja: "WHAT?!?!"

Pooja screamed in frustration on hearing her father's words.

Mom: "Stop screaming Pooja!"

Sanjana was sitting in her room at the edge of the bed, her legs pulled to her chest and her hands wrapped around them.

Pooja: (frustrated) "Why do we have to shift to Delhi??"

Dad: (sighing) "I can't help it. I expanded my business to Delhi and we have to stay there from now on."

Pooja: "Then, you can live there alone. We can stay here."

Mom: (holding Pooja's hands) "Don't be childish Pooja! How can your father stay there alone? Don't you want to stay with him?"

Pooja: "Shifting there means, I have to change schools. All my friends are here. I'll feel lonely in school."

Dad: (patting Pooja's head) "You're sad about this? You've such a great personality. I'm sure you'll make new friends on the first day of school."

Pooja: "But- "

Dad: (reassuring smile) "Don't worry about anything Pooja. We're leaving next week."

Pooja gave out an irritated sigh.

Sanjana lay down on the bed, curling up into a ball.

'Shifting, huh? Well, what difference would it make? I'll still be alone. I'll still be hurting. But at least I won't have to see him at school. That'll be good, I guess.'

*******************************************************************************************

NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR:

The next chapter will be uploaded on 29th October as I will be out of the station for a while. So stay tuned for the next update 😘