12. Smile Given by You

On the same evening, Sanjana was standing beside the sofa, with her head hanging low, playing with her fingers. Pooja and her mother were sprawled on the sofa. Sanjana was taking occasional glances at her father, sitting on the other sofa, staring at the two report cards with a serious face.

After a few moments, he kept the two papers on the small glass table in front of the sofa and looked up at Sanjana.

His face was expressionless like always. Sanjana gulped in nervousness.

Dad: (low but stern voice) "Is this your 'good'?"

Sanjana: "D-dad I tried my b-best..."

Dad: (standing up and shouting) "82% IS YOUR TRYING BEST??"

Sanjana stepped back a little, surprised as well as scared by her father's sudden outburst.

Dad: "HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU TO STUDY SERIOUSLY?? 82% IS EVEN A MARKS???"

Sanjana tried to stop herself from crying but tears still formed in her eyes.

Pooja smirked at Sanjana and thought about making the matter worse.

Pooja: (faking a pity face) "Sanjana, that day at school, the teacher gave us an extra class. I told you to stay but you skipped class and went out with your friend."

Sanjana's eyes widened.

Sanjana: "When did- "

Dad: "YOU SKIPPED CLASS?? HOW DARE YOU??"

Sanjana: (defending herself) "Dad, she is lying!! I didn't miss any class!!"

Mom: (hugging Pooja) "She is your own sister! Why will she lie?"

Sanjana: (wobbly voice) "Mom, Dad, believe me! I didn't miss any class!"

Dad: "THEN WHY IS YOUR MARKS SO LOW?? "

Sanjana: (tears streamed down her cheeks) "B-but I tried my best..."

Dad: "If you had seriously tried your best, you would have done much better than this!"

He sighed in frustration.

Dad: "Just go to your room!! I'm so tired of telling you the same thing over and over again! I don't know when you will be serious about your future! JUST GO!!"

Sanjana ran upstairs to her room and closed the door behind her. She slowly walked to her bed; tears still flowing from her eyes. She plopped down and shifted backward towards the headboard. Pulling her legs towards her chest, she buried her head between her knees. The silent room filled with her loud sobs.

After some time, her phone vibrated on the bedside table.

Sniffing, she reached out her hand to take the phone. Without checking the caller ID, she picked up the call.

Sanjana: (crying voice) "H-hello?"

Karan: (worried) "S-Sanjana?"

Sanjana's eyes widened, hearing his voice. She wiped away her tears and cleared her throat.

Sanjana: "K-Karan? H-Hi!"

Karan: "Were you busy?"

Sanjana: (shaking her head) "No...no...I'm not busy at all."

Karan: "Okay..."

Silence fell between them.

Sanjana: (biting her lip) "Did you want to say something to me?"