2. Still hopeful

Sanjana opened the door of her house and was welcomed by the darkness inside. It did not bother her as she always felt her whole life surrounded by darkness.

She climbed up the stairs into her room. After taking a bath, she changed into her nightwear and tucked herself inside the blanket. But she could not sleep. She tossed and turned. Everything that happened throughout the day played in her mind like a movie.

'I do hope something changes in my life. But is it too much to ask for?'

She tried to sleep but could not.

After one or two hours, Sanjana heard the clicking sound of the main door. She turned towards the door of her room and heard her mother's voice.

Mom: "Pooja, go to sleep, you have school tomorrow."

Pooja: "Okay Mom, Dad! Goodnight!"

Pooja hugged both her parents and went up to her room.

'Mom always smiles and becomes cheerful while talking to Pooja. But why is she so cold towards me?'

After some time, Sanjana heard her parents talking about her.

Dad: (in low voice) "Did Sanjana go to sleep?"

Mom: "I think so. Let me go and check it."

As soon as Sanjana heard her door opening, she closed her eyes and pretended to sleep.

Sanjana's mother peeked in and saw her daughter sleeping peacefully.

She closed the door and went down to the living room.

Dad: (serious tone) "Did you tell your friends about Sanjana's performance in school?"

Mom: (giving a low scoff) "Are you kidding me? No way! I skipped every question about her."

Dad: (nodding his head) "I was thinking, let's not take Sanjana to these family parties anymore. She is not interested in these things."

Mom: (agreeing) "Okay, let's do that next time."

Sanjana did not open her eyes. A drop of tear trickled down from her eye.

The next morning, Sanjana was having her breakfast silently. Her Dad was at the other side of the table in his office suit, having his morning coffee and reading the newspaper. Her Mom was preparing Pooja's breakfast, who had not yet come down from her room.

Mom: (shouting) "Pooja, come down for breakfast. Otherwise, you will be late for school!"

Pooja came running down the stairs, her long silky hair floating in the air. Pooja sat down, pulling a chair.

Pooja: (pouting) "Sorry Mom, I was completing my homework till late yesterday."

Mom: (concerned) "Did you get enough sleep, Honey?"

Pooja: (munching on the bread) "Don't worry, Mom, I slept well."

Mom: (cold) "Sanjana, did you complete your homework?"

Sanjana: (gulping down the last bit of food from her plate) "Yes, Mom."

Mom: (soft voice) "Pooja, dear, can you please check her homework once?"

Pooja: (scrolling down her phone) "Okay Mom, I'll look at it at school."

Sanjana sighed.

She got up from the table with her bag.

Sanjana: (looking at her parents, with a small smile) "I'm leaving for school. Bye, Mom and Dad."

Both: (immersed in their work) "Okay."

Sanjana sighed again and walked out of the house.

The class was bustling with students gossiping and running across the classroom. Just like any other day, Sanjana sat at her desk, in the back, silently looking outside the window.

Suddenly, she heard a loud thump on her desk, which made her flinch a little. She turned around to see Pooja and her friend Neena smirking down at her. She gave out an irritated sigh.

Pooja: (folding her arms over her chest) "Sister, Mom told me to check your homework. Do you remember that?"

Sanjana sighed and gave her notebook to Pooja. Pooja opened it and turned the pages one by one.

Neena: (glancing at the notebook) "Sanjana, your handwriting is so bad."

Pooja: (smirking) "Are you a kid who is learning to write for the first time?"

They started laughing at her. Sanjana kept looking down at her lap, knowing it was a regular thing.

Pooja: (giving back her notebook) "Your handwriting is so bad that I couldn't understand anything. Improve your handwriting!"

They went away from there laughing.

Sanjana took her notebook and turned over the pages.

'It's okay Sanjana, you know she was just teasing you. Your handwriting is good.' She tried to console herself though it did not help much.

Everyone had gathered on the basketball court. The teacher was explaining everything. Sanjana was listening attentively. Other girls in her class were busy watching the boys from the basketball team who were practicing.

After playing for a few minutes, the girls were exhausted so the teacher gave them a break. Sanjana was practicing dribbling as she was not that tired. The other girls were squealing on seeing the boys practicing.

Girl 1: "Hey, isn't that the school's heartthrob?"

Girl 2: "Yes, Oh my god! He looks more handsome in person."

Sanjana was engrossed in her practice when suddenly, a ball came out of nowhere and hit her on the head hard. She fell, clutching her head.

The girls in her class surrounded her and started laughing at her.

Pooja: (faking a pity expression) "Poor Sanjana, can't even dodge a ball, haha."

Sanjana could feel her head spinning. She tried to open her eyes but she felt a shooting pain so, she shut her eyes again.

Someone: "Move away."