5. Happiness

The next day, when Sanjana entered her classroom, she saw her classmates looking at her weirdly and whispering among themselves.

Sanjana ignored them and went to her seat.

When she was taking out her books, two girls came to her.

Girl 1: (smirking) "Hey, Sanjana, I heard that you went on a date with Karan?"

Sanjana: (giving out a frustrated sigh) "It was not a date. He just invited me to have coffee with him."

Girl 2: (taking a glance at the other girl) "Are you sure, you don't have feelings for him?"

Sanjana: (getting irritated) "No! We are just normal friends!"

Both started laughing.

Girl 1: "Friends? A girl like you friends with the school's heartthrob, what a joke!"

Girl 2: "Don't get your heart broken, Karan's friend!"

They walked away from there laughing.

Sanjana looked down feeling sad after hearing their comments.

'Aren't they right? How can I be friends with him? He is perfect in every way and I am nothing in front of him. It's better if I end it here before my hopes get too high.' Sanjana thought, clenching her fists on her lap.

During lunchtime, like always, Sanjana was eating alone at a table. She was looking down at her plate when she felt a presence in front of her. She looked up to see Karan standing with his food and smiling at her.

Sanjana was surprised to see him. Karan pulled a chair and sat down. Sanjana looked around to see the other students looking at her and the girls glaring.

Sanjana: (nervous) "Karan, what are you doing?"

Karan: (shrugging his shoulders) "What? I am eating. It's lunchtime."

Sanjana: "Others are looking at us."

Karan: (rolling his eyes) "Do you think I care? I already told you yesterday, just ignore them. Theyare just jealous because I am sitting with such a cute girl like you."

'Cute?'

Sanjana blushed at his statement.

Sanjana looked down at her plate.

Sanjana: (shyly) "Karan, do you really think I am cute?"

Karan: (smiling) "Obviously! Especially when you smile!"

Sanjana's face was turning redder.

Karan: (lookingat her sincerely) "Sanjana, let's eat lunch together from now on, okay?"

Sanjana was surprised but nodded shyly.

She talked endlessly with him ignoring the glances from others.

Karan: "Should we go to the café today too?"

Sanjana: "Okay! But this time I will pay."

Karan gave a small laugh and nodded his head.

One week passed away. Sanjana and Karan had become great friends. They went to the café almost every day. Sometimes, Karan came to meet Sanjana in her class. The girls, including Pooja, glared at her but Sanjana ignored their stares.

Sanjana was happy. For the first time in her life, she was feeling as if somebody cared for her. Somebody wanted her in his life.

Whenever she was with Karan, her heart fluttered and she knew what that meant. But she was scared at the same time; scared of her feelings not being reciprocated.