36. Choices and Decisions

Male voice: "Sanjana?"

Sanjana stopped involuntarily hearing the familiar voice that she heard after so long.

Sanjana, gulping down a lump in her throat, turned around slowly to find the person, whom she never wanted to meet again, standing at a distance, with a surprised look on his face. He still looked the same, handsome as always. The person whom she once loved the most in this world.

Sanjana lowered her gaze, not wanting to meet his beautiful hazel eyes, which once fluttered her heart whenever they used to meet hers.

Sanjana: (trembling voice) "K-Karan?"

Sooraj, on the other side, was glaring at Karan, who took a few steps closer to them.

Karan: (both surprised and happy) "Sanjana, it's been so long, how are you?"

Sanjana's heart started beating faster hearing his voice and she hated it so much - hated that he still had that power to make her nervous like that around him. She balled her palms into fists by her side. Sooraj took her hand in his to calm her down. Karan noticed it and met Sooraj's glaring eyes. Karan clenched his jaw and sighed.

Sanjana: (trying to look into his eyes, still nervous) "Y-Yes, I'm doing fine."

Karan gave her a warm smile.

'Damn that smile again. Sanjana, why does he have so much control over you?'

Karan looked back at their joined hands and then back to Sanjana.

Karan: (sighing) "Sanjana, can I talk to you for a while" (shifting his gaze to Sooraj's glaring eyes) "Alone?"

Sanjana was sitting across from Karan in a café. She would be lying if she said that she was not nervous about being alone with him.

She looked up to meet his gaze only to find them on her. She cleared her throat and looked away immediately.

Karan chuckled.

Karan: (shifting in his place) "You didn't change at all. You are still nervous around me like you have always been."

Sanjana mentally cursed herself for making it so much obvious.

She tried to change the topic to make her racing heart calm down.

Sanjana: (joining both her hands on the table) "So, how is it going with Pooja?"

Karan sighed and looked down. He was expecting her to ask that question.

Karan: (looking up at her) "We broke up a long time ago."

Sanjana: (looked up at him, surprised) "What? When?"

Karan: (remembering) "Two months after you all shifted to Delhi."

Sanjana: "What happened? Both of you loved each other so much. You worked so hard to get her."

The last sentence came out of her mouth in a whisper but Karan heard it.

Karan: "It just didn't work out."

Sanjana looked at Karan only to find him looking down.

Sanjana: (concerned) "I feel bad for you. I know you loved her so much, the things you did to get her," (in a whisper) "using me."

Karan heard her and looked at her.

Karan: (leaning forward, putting his hand on the table, closer to her) "Sanjana, I wanted to talk about that only."