48 - I'm Done Hiding Myself..

It took Seokjin a few seconds to mask his surprised expression and step into the room. He held the door open for Namjoon, who thought he saw Seokjin's hand on the door handle shaking but the moment was too short for him to be sure. Seokjin walked towards the bed and busied himself with adjusting Taehyung's IV line. Only a medical professional would notice that he didn't actually change anything, even after fidgeting with it for about half a minute.

"So," Mr Kim's voice had a strange edge to it. "How is he?"

"Dad, I'm right here. You can ask from me. No need to snap at hyung." Taehyung replied with a slight frown.

"Well, he's a doctor too, isn't he?"

"He's an oncologist. He's not treating me."

"It's a simple enough question. Even he should be able to answer."

"Dad-"

"That's quite alright, Tae." Seokjin gently ruffled Taehyung's hair. "Of course I can tell."

Then he looked straight at his father. "Tae just had a surgery to treat his leg and we are starting physical therapy as soon as the other wounds heal sufficiently. His head scans were good, no signs of concussion or any other damage. His internal bleeding was the biggest concern for doctors so they are monitoring him closely for the next few days for that. But for now, it looks like it'll be okay."

"W-will you be here too?"

Seokjin turned to his mother at that question, and his professional mask slipped a bit at the glassy eyes looking back at him. "I'll come whenever I can. I can spend my day-offs here too."

"Don't bother." Mr Kim scoffed. "Family never mattered to you that much."

"It's nothing like that." Seokjin's voice grew heavy with emotions. "I can't just ignore my responsibilities. Some of my patients are literally at the gates of death."

"No need for excuses. I don't want you anywhere near Tae anyway." Mr Kim got up from the chair he was sitting in and looked around, before pointing at Namjoon. "You! Are you working here?"

"Uhhh…" Namjoon sneaked a glance at Seokjin before nodding his head. "Yes."

"Good. Whom should I talk to get this doctor out of my son's room?"

"Dad!" Taehyung was slightly yelling now, but Mr Kim didn't pay any attention to that.

"I want him banned from this room."

"Dad, you can't ban people from my hospital room!"

"You keep quiet, Tae. I'm your father."

"That doesn't give you the right-"

"Why-" Seokjin's voice was enough to stop whatever Tae was about to say. "Why do you want me away from my brother?"

"Because you're a fucking disgrace! A sick person. I don't want him associating with your kind and getting his head filled with weird ideas. I don't want you to contaminate him too!"

Seokjin gasped loudly and took a step back. He swayed a bit and Namjoon instinctively held his hand out. Seokjin grabbed it, not noticing how Namjoon's face pulled tight due to the slight tremble in Seokjin's hand.

Taehyung felt a wave of rage pass over his mind. He was grateful that Jungkook was not in the room right now. The idol politely left when Taehyung's parents came in, to give some privacy to the family. Taehyung didn't know where he went but anywhere was better than here.

Namjoon slowly pulled Seokjin's hand and stepped in front of him, partially covering the elder with his buff body. "You can't talk to him like that. He might not be your son's attending doctor, but he's still a doctor in this hospital."