Chapter Seven ⁜ The Price For Peace

When Kim hangs up, they are almost at home

Arm didn't make the noise the entire phone call and just kept driving. No questions, no comments, nothing. And Kim appreciates that a lot. For one, if it were Big, driving him home, there would be too many questions and comments even before Kim's phone call would end. And two—right now, Kim doesn't think that he has any mental or physical capacity to actually say a word.

He looks at the phone—the call lasted not even ten minutes but for those ten minutes there was nothing better in the world. Those ten minutes took Kim apart piece by piece and filled every inch of him with Chay's soft voice, his slow breathing, and sweet giggles. And now Kim is in the process of regeneration and he can't move, he can't speak, he doesn't even want to breathe too much because he is afraid that any sudden move, anything can possibly disturb Chay from sinking into every part of his body, soul, heart, and mind. And then he would feel incomplete again. And Kim doesn't want to feel like that anymore.

For almost two weeks, he had waited patiently, and now, after he got to hear Chay's voice again, he knows that it was all worth it. Suddenly, those days, hours, breathlessly waiting for it to happen—it all doesn't matter anymore, only that Chay had reached out. He is giving Kim a chance, and that's all that Kim needs. If he has to wait a little more to meet Chay again, he will because there's no one else who makes him so breathless, so hungry for more than his sweetheart.

Kim wants to stay in the car until Friday. He doesn't want to move from the place where he heard Chay's voice after what felt like forever—where the echo of it lingers everywhere around him, where he feels as if Chay is right next to him, whispering in his ear, one hand curled around Kim's neck, the other teasingly resting on his thigh. Kim can practically feel Chay's hot breath tickling his skin. Why would Kim want to get out of the car and break that perfect illusion that he has Chay right next to him? Why would he be so foolish?

For a moment, he wants to pick up his phone and call Chay again and never hang up. And he knows that's his obsession speaking because his rational mind is telling him that he would only wake Chay up, and Kim doesn't want to do that. He wants to guard Chay's dreams, not chase them away—he wants to make them come true, not bury them forever. He wants to make Chay happy, not upset. He wants... he wants... he wants Chay. The more time he spends away from him, the more he is sure—he wants Chay. There is no one else for Kim. There never will be.

The car stops in front of the house.

Kim doesn't want to get out, not yet.

Not until Friday.

"We are here, sir," Arm says from the driver's seat as if it wasn't obvious, and after a couple of seconds of no movement and no response on Kim's part, he adds, "sir, everything's okay?"

"You can go," Kim rasps out. He can feel Arm's eyes linger on him for a little bit longer, but then that feeling is gone and all he can hear is the car door being opened and closed, and Arm's steps getting further and further away. Kim closes his eyes and relaxes a little more in his seat. He still has blood on his clothes from earlier activities, and he knows that he has to take a shower, but all of that can wait. Now, he wants to enjoy that little time he still has in that fragile bubble that the phone call created for him.