Chapter Twenty-Two ⁜ Deal

"Miranda, hi

"Miranda, hi. Did you come here for another manicure? If you wait a moment, I'll get my hedge clippers and be right back with you," Chay greets Miranda as he and Kim walk up to her.

"You... stay away from me!" Miranda's voice is shaking. "You got my finger, my father, and even my Kim. You—you evil!"

"Miranda," Kim sighs, running his fingers through his hair, "I was never yours. I don't know where you got that insane idea that I was, but it's not real—it never was, It's all in your head. And that's where it will stay."

"Miranda, your father wanted to kill both me and my husband. I did what I had to do, that's all." Chay doesn't say that he is sorry because truth be told—he isn't. Mallori was the one playing with fire. Mallori was the one who didn't let them be. If he would stay away from them, Chay wouldn't do what he did. He wouldn't even step a foot in Mallori's direction. Chay barely knew what he was doing when he walked into that cabin, but he did what he had to protect his husband, and he will never be sorry for protecting his husband. Never.

"Sometimes, my father was hard to deal with, but he didn't deserve to die," Miranda shakes her head, hands clenched together on her chest.

"Your father was one of the most merciless mafia leaders around, darling," Kim scoffs. "He did deserve it. All of us in the mafia do. Instead of sobbing on our steps, you should be at home, preparing to take over the family. That empire won't run itself."

"I don't want it," Miranda tips up her chin and sniffs away her tears. "That's why I came here."

"Oh, so you don't want the manicure?" Chay asks sadly.

Miranda doesn't even look at him. She keeps looking only at Kim as if Chay is just dust floating in the air. Fine, at least Chay doesn't have to deal with her much, but she better keep those eyes of hers only on Kim's face because if she goes lower Chay will put her back in her place!

"I have an offer for you, Kimhan," Miranda says.

"Offer?" Kim glances at Chay.

Chay smiles—there was a day when Kim had an offer for him as well...

"What offer?" Kim asks.

"The offer you can't refuse," Miranda replies.

"I'm the one who's gonna decide that, darling. Now, talk!" Kim throws his arm around Chay's shoulders and kisses his temple.

Chay can see Miranda's lips twitch in anger, but she doesn't comment on it. Instead, she just takes a deep breath and starts explaining her offer.

"I don't want to take over the family. I never liked how dangerous it really was. If you give me ten million dollars, I'll leave this country, and you can do whatever you want with the mob family my father left behind. Ten million, and you'll own more than half of the city, Kimhan. No more fighting over the territory with Mallori. It will be all yours."