Chapter Fourteen ⁜ Dark Light

It's awfully quiet.

It's as if someone took the remote control and turned off the sound on the TV.

But just a moment ago, it was awfully loud.

Like a bomb exploding right next to him.

The bomb. Under the car. Explosion.

It's somehow hot. And there's ashes, falling down everywhere around them. To Chay, it looks like snow. Even though he never felt one on his skin, he figures that the only difference might be just in temperature... and maybe the colour.

The voice is coming to him slowly as if coming from deep underwater. And then something on top of him moves, and Chay realizes with a sudden terror that Kim covered him with his own body just as the bomb went off.

Kim.

No.

No.

No.

Chay's lungs gasp for oxygen just like the body of a swimmer would after an excessive time underwater, and he finally lets out a sound, "a-are you hurt? Kim, are you hurt? Please tell me—"

"Thank god," Chay can hear Kim sighing, lips pressed to Chay's forehead. "You weren't responding—I thought that something happened to you."

"I—I'm good, but..." Chay looks at his hand that was just a moment ago resting on Kim's back. Red. Blood. It's staining Chay's palm and fingers. And he knows it isn't his. His hands start shaking. He looks at Kim with wide eyes. Kim looks calm... too calm. "Blood. You are bleeding. Kim, please... what's wrong? Kim, talk to me—"

"Bleeding," Kim painfully chuckles. "Well, that explains that fucking pain."

Chay is watching worriedly as Kim slowly rolls away from him but makes sure that his back doesn't hit the concrete. Instead, slowly, Kim sits up, his hand already clutching his phone. And Chay can't help himself but let out a quiet sob. Thank god, Kim can move. That must mean that his spine is fine. Chay doesn't know what he would do if things were different. But as Chay moves slowly to look at Kim's back, another sob leaves his body. A sudden nausea overpowers him. He needs to close his eyes and take a couple of deep breaths of the air that is polluted by fire and smoke.

Kim's white shirt is torn in many places. It doesn't look even white anymore. It's all red and black. And his skin looks raw. Oh god. It must hurt. It must hurt so much. Chay doesn't even want to turn around to look at the car. He never wants to see it. Never.

"That was my favourite fucking car! If I get that fucking bastard..." Kim scoffs and then Chay hears him talk to Big on the phone. Big should come for them as soon as possible. But that isn't enough. Kim needs to get to the hospital. Chay needs to get him there! He needs to take care of his fiance!