Chapter Twenty ⁜ Fire on Fire

Chay is married

Chay is married.

He is a married man. Kim is his husband. He is Kim's husband. They are husbands. Why does it seem so unbelievable? Almost as if it's all just a dream. Chay feels like he shouldn't be so happy. Happiness like this feels almost impossible. But he can't help it. He feels giddy with love and high on emotions. His heart beats loudly in his chest every time he thinks of Kim's wedding vows. His soul—if Chay would have to he would give Kim even the entirety of his soul without any hesitation. Anything to see his husband happy.

Anything to see his husband...

But where is he?

"Hia?"

"Hmm?" Porsche glances at Chay, his mouth stuffed with the wedding cake.

"How long is Kim gone? You think that it's been at least thirty minutes?" Chay asks, playing with his wedding ring. The nervousness is slowly creeping in.

He said that he'd be back soon.

Kim has always kept his promises to Chay before.

Porsche frowns, "I think that it has been more than that, nong. The sun was still up when I went looking for you. It's pitch black now."

Porsche is right. The sky is empty tonight. No stars. No moon. Everything is hidden behind sudden clouds. Everything's gone. But the sunset happened fast. Maybe it is more than thirty minutes, but it can't be much longer than that. Chay was lost in his happy thoughts, but he couldn't be lost for that long.

"I'll go look for him, hia." Chay finishes the glass of champagne he was drinking and puts it back on the table. "And you keep having fun, just... leave some cake for others."

Chay isn't even in the mood to laugh at the funny face his brother gives him. He just turns around and quickly makes his way towards the main gate. On his way, he takes the phone out of his pants and dials Kim's number. It rings, and rings, and rings. Rings so many times that it makes Chay's head spin. With every ring, Chay's hope for Kim to pick up is becoming slimer and slimer. Chay tries to call Kim a couple of more times, but nothing.

Already from afar, he can see that there's no commotion at the gate. Nothing seems wrong. All the guards are at their places. They seem relaxed. Even bored. Some are maybe annoyed that they can't be at the wedding reception, but nothing else seems out of the ordinary.

But the thing is, Chay is not only not seeing any problem, but he also can't see his husband either.

When he arrives at the gates, he is greeted by the guards as per usual. "Khun Porchay." "Congratulations to your wedding, khun Porchay."

"Thank you," Chay nods. "Where's my husband?"

"Khun Kimhan wasn't at the main gate today, sir," one of the guards gives Chay an unsettling piece of information.