Chapter 1- A dark reflection

To be a fairy, you have to be good, selfless, honorable and kind. In other words, you have to be perfect. But you definitely can't be dark. A fairy's whole being has to be light, although it's not easy to control the darkness. It can hurt us, destroy us and even kill us. But Ruby doesn't have that problem. She has plenty of light and keeping her darkness from coming to the surface is no problem for her.  In fact, she couldn't be more of a fairy.

Ruby smiled contently as she sat on the windowsill of a tower at Alfea, staring down at the students and teachers who were setting everything up for the upcoming party.

We finish the year with a party and start a new one with another. This is so not your normal highschool. Ruby thought as she finished drawing her colorfull butterfly.

When she looked down again, she noticed a girl kneeling on the stage that Faragonda had built, and she seemed to be having troubles connecting some speakers correctly. Ruby smiled and closed her sketchbook before opening the window and swinging her legs outside. 

"Magic Winx." She said.

Two massive phoenix wings grew on her back and wrapped themselves around her, covering her whole body. Once they spread Ruby was dressed in her black top and shorts and her feathered wings were replaced by thin red ones. She jumped out of the tower and flew towards the girl, landing right next to her.

The brunette flinched when she saw someone appear out of nowhere next to her but, when she looked up, her face lit up with a big smile

"Ruby." Ebony said, standing up and hugging her. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm pretty sure this is my school too." Ruby said smiling. "Oh, no. Did I get lost again? Excuse me, what's's the way to Alfea?" She asked a fairy who was passing by and looked at her with a confused face.

"She's just kidding, just go on with your day." Ebony told her with a nervous chuckle. The fairy shrugged and went away. "Seriously?"

"What? You asked." Ruby said with a teasing smirk.

"I just meant what are you doing down here?" Ebony explained, kneeling down again to try to figure out the cables. "I thought Dr. Wilson and Ms. Faragonda told you to avoid stressful events since it might trigger your dark powers."

"This is a party. Aside from the ghouls, there's nothing stressful here." Ruby said, kneeling down next to her.

"We heard that." The ghouls yelled from somewhere in the crowd making the two girls laugh.

"Yeah, well. You don't like people." Ebony reminded her, plugging a cable into the speaker. She tried to turn it on, but it didn't work. "Ugh, what's wrong with this stupid thing? The cables are all in the right places. Why isn't any music coming out of it?"

"Uhm, maybe because you haven't clicked 'play' on the computer." Ruby told her, picking up the purple computer and showing it to her. The mouse was on top of the 'play' button but, it hadn't been clicked yet.

"Oh." Ebony chuckled nervously as her cheeks darkened. "Right. I forgot."

Ruby smiled and turned the computer to her and clicked on play. As soon as she did, the music came out of the speaker at a really loud volume, so loud that the two fell on their backs with the strong sound waves it sent. Everyone on the courtyard dropped their stuff and covered their ears, except for Musa who started vibing happily.

Ebony sat up and quickly turned off the speaker, letting out a relieved breath once it was silent again. Ruby sat up as well, holding her ears in pain,

"Well... it works." Ebony said chuckling.