Chapter 24- Runaways

"Throw another one." Ruby said, panting heavily while staring at Robin who stood behind severall broken boulders.

"Ruby, we've been doing this for hours. You've got to rest." Robin said, looking concerned at their friend. 

"I'm... fine." Ruby said through greeted teeth, lighting her hands on red fire while large boulders materialized themselves next to the blonde. "Now, throw... another one."

Robin sighed, but turned towards the boulders nevertheless. They used their powers to levitate one in the air and then threw it at Ruby with all their strengh. The redhead blasted the blouder with her red fire and it broke into hundreds of pieces. Robin threw another two and Ruby destroyed those as well, however she still demanded they threw more. Sighing, the blonde threw the last three and, by clapping her hands violently, Ruby reduced them into dust.

Although she sweating and panting, Ruby made more boulders appear next to Robin who stared at them bewildered.

"You're joking right?" They said, looking back at the visibly shaking Fairy. 

"Th-Throw... them." Ruby struggled to say.

"No. Ruby, you're exhausted and so am I. We have to stop this..." Robin said, gesturing around them to the thousands of broken stones. "... whatever this is. Where did you even get the idea that your powers don't work?"

"The Trix." The redhead said, finally losing all of her strenght and falling to her knees. "I couldn't use it against them."

"Another flaw." Robin whispered to themselves, smiling with satisfaction. They approached their friend and got on one knee in front of her. "Ruby, your powers obviously work perfectly. You have to stop this. We'll soon understand why you can't use your powers against the Trix in specific, but you can't train to exhaustion. You have to rest and unfortunately you have to go to school because you just bailed the whole fucking day."

"The whole day?" Ruby asked, frowning in confusion. "No we were only here for a few hours."

"Ruby, it's 7pm." Robin told her, chuckling at her dumbfounded expression. They grabbed her chin and made her look up at the red and orange sky which made her jaw drop. "Why do you think you can't stand? You spent the whole day draining all of your energy and not eating at all."

"Maybe I overdid it."

"Yeah no shit. I arrived here after school because I was worried about you and the first thing you did was shout at me to throw the rocks because you wanted a moving target. You didn't even say hello." Robin said making Ruby chuckle.

"I'm sorry, Rob. I just couldn't stand the fact that I couldn't fight them off and I don't even know why."

"It's alright. Maybe you could ask one of the Specialists to teach you how to fight until we figure out what's wrong with your powers." Robin suggested.

"Yeah, that's a good idea. I might just do that." Ruby said, smiling. She stood up with the help of Robin and, after waiting a few seconds to make sure she wouldn't fall again, the two slowly began walking towards Alfea. "Hey have you seen Kaylus?"

"No, why?" They asked.

"Because she said she was going to play Bamboozle Ball, whatever that is, but that was like an hour before you arrived." Ruby said, growing concerned about her bonded Pixie.

"I'm sure she's just hanging out with her friends, there's probably nothing to worry about."

"Yeah, you're right."

While they walked, Ruby's phone vibrated in her pocket meaning she had received a message. She took it out of her phone and one look at it made her eyes widen in fear.